Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
We still have our first VCR. It's a JVC HiFi VHS with cable box control. I loved that feature. Basically you could have it control a cable box so that you could record shows off encrypted channels automatically. The only catch is that you had to leave the cable box on. I wish I could find a DVD recorder that had that feature.

I ended up getting an S-VHS JVC later with the same feature, and moving the old JVC to the bedroom. At one point I had a mono Sharp with cable box control that we used in the bedroom to tape stuff (we taped all our TV and watched it later; it fit our schedule better). We found that having a second machine to record stuff freed up the main machine for watching, and gave us some options for recording when multiple programs that we wanted to watch were on simultaneously.

Eventually VCRs got so cheap that I got a boring HiFi Sharp machine for the basement. It lacks an LED display (which is surprisingly annoying) but since it is rarely used (it did some taping for watching, but not much playing) it doesn't really matter. I sent the mono Sharp to my mother, who still has it and has no idea how to operate it. :)

I still have a bunch of movies I've recorded off of Movie Central and dumped to VHS. I tend to record them to DVD now when I need to free up PVR space (I have nothing against using VHS for the job but I don't currently have the living room VCR set up to record the PVR box).

VHS was never awesome but it was easy to use and gave people a lot of flexibility. I see it living a few years more, although I have to admit it's been years since I've bought any blank tapes. (I bought a few S-VHS tapes because I thought they might start getting to be in short supply, and I only had a couple. I felt like I wanted to be able to take full advantage of my S-VHS VCR. :) )

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I'm still using a VCR, although I'm getting a DVD recorder soon to replace it. Two things I'll remember about the VCR are:

Back when we reached 2000 and some couldn't do timer recording anymore.

And when Red bought one on That 70s Show and he insisted on recording Kitty's favourite show even though they had nothing to do when it was actually on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
VHS is not dead. What are you talking about? I've been looking for a place to mention this. I got a DAZZLE for Christmas. It is a device that takes VHS and Beta tapes and converts them to DVD.

So, VHS lives on in a new form. I haven't tried this yet because it will require lots moving stuff around (ugh), but it will also do DVD to DVD. Has anyone any experience with the Dazzle that you could share with me? I already know how to dub movies.

I searched for info on the Dazzle, but I found one mention only. Mfg: Pinnacle. Price $38. ;)

Uncle

·
Registered
175 Posts
I clearly remember our first VCR, recording all those Saturday morning cartoons on it in the mid 80's, as well as WWF wrestling. Then in the 90's recording all those Bulls games. I've converted a lot of content over to digital format, but still not everything, so I still need a VCR to do that. We still have about 4 in our house.

I also remember a $3000 bulky Camcorder we bought that used VHS tapes. It was actually a nice camera, made by Panasonic, but it was just so heavy.

Now everyone can have access to content in digital format, in HD, and we can stream content wirelessly to other rooms... truly amazing how far everything has come in such a short time.
Oh, man, I still have one of those huge $3,000 cameras. When we took it on vacation,
all we did was argue over who was going to hold it. It looks like the commercial cameras that TV stations use.

Uncle

·
Registered
517 Posts
VHS is not dead. What are you talking about? I've been looking for a place to mention this. I got a DAZZLE for Christmas. It is a device that takes VHS and Beta tapes and converts them to DVD.
man from that sentence you have just proved VHS is dead because the only devices they make for VHS now is to convert them to a non-dead format so you can chuck out the old VHS tapes and equipment. "the Source" sells all the old obsolete equipment now like the VCR with a USB port built in

one thing i still find better for VHS over DVD is the rewind and fast forward feature as DVDs will just skip too much during it so it is hard to move to the part of the movie your trying to get to. i think its the same with PVR's too

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is like a retirement testimonial dinner for the poor old VCR.:) So I will add my own experiences.

When I finally graduated from university, I went out and bought my first tv and vcr, a Samsung. Cost me about $300 in 1992. A piece of rubbish, the clutch kept wearing out and chewing my tapes. Then I got a Panasonic with metal heads, made in Japan (a good feature so the salesman told me), for $450. It still works great, though getting dusty. I picked up a Sony as a second unit a few years ago, I think I paid about $150.

Now I have a Pioneer HDD-DVD recorder for recording shows, but I also have a large collection of tapes from Columbia House (from my carefree bachelor days) and old movies recored from TV. I confess the only use I have for the VCR now is to transfer my tapes to the Pioneer and then burn DVDs of them. It is not so much a time saver as a longevity issue, as the VHS tapes will start to degrade over time. Nevertheless, I can't see getting rid of either the tapes or the machines simply because newer technology is available.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts