Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a first floor apartment down town(lots of surrounding buildings) in southern NH. Several years ago I build a Gary Hoverman antenna and it is excellent. I get dozens of UHF stations. But I can't get anything with VHF. For a long time there channels 9 and 11 were all I was missing. But now with the repack, several stations are sharing channel 5. So now I need low and high VHF. I have a RCA UHF/VHF combiner and preamp, the model number is TVPRAMP1Z, using an Ematic DTV tuner.

Here is my TV Fool. It doesn't have up to date info on repack though, so it doesn't show RF channel 5:
TV Fool

I guess there are some other VHF stations too looking at the fool, but 5, 9 and 11 are the most important to me.

So here is what I've tried to get VHF 9 and 11 all with zero results, not even a blip on the strength bar:
-Made a folded dipole, tuned to channel 10, hoping I could get 9 and 11 with it.
-Converted that folded dipole into the primary element in a yagi. Not 100% sure I made this correctly. It worked without a preamp at my dad's house for channel 9 and 11, but only if I pointed it backwards. Nothing at my apartment.
-tried using old bunny ears

So now should I just give up? Think something like a stealth hawk or scatter forager might be worth a shot? There is not much out there for low-VHF.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Diesel you did set the switch on the preamp to separate uhf and vhf input ?? Likely there is too much electrical noise in VHF band in your apartment.Can you mount your folded dipole outside your window.Nothing inside will likely work .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the switch setting is correct. I believe in the past I've tried different combinations of combiners and amps. I know I was running coax through the suspended ceiling with an in line amp just before the yagi so I could try it in different rooms.

I'll try the folded dipole outside and see how it does. If it works for channels 9 and/or 11 I go from there as far as figuring out how to get the rest of the VHF stuff. Maybe I can suspend it from the fire escape that is near my window with zip ties or carpet tack it to the outside window frame or something.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I live in a first floor apartment down town(lots of surrounding buildings) in southern NH.

There is not much out there for low-VHF.
Hello, diesel_cat; welcome to the forum. Here is a report from rabbitears.com which should have a more accurate list of channels:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=7147

and an image from part of the report:

rob50312 is correct about the electrical noise on VHF; it's very high on VHF-Low. I made some measurements with my indoor antennas. The signal must be at least 15 dB stronger than the noise to be received.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Agree it is possible you could have a high noise floor living in an apartment building...
Locally here, we have an RF ch 5 as a result of the repack also. And at my house I can see the noise floor of RF Channel 4 increase by 20 dB as various devices get fired up in my kid's bedroom, which just happens to be just below the antenna system on the roof.:frown The VHF low noise floor rise tends to degrade the SNR of the local RF 5 by about 3 to 4 dB, is still receivable however. Eventually as time permits I will pin it down further and squash the source. Not using any VHF low antenna here, yagi here is VHF Hi Stellar Labs model 30-2476.

I would suggest trying to receive the local RF 5 without any amplification as a test, rabbit ears or a yagi, and see what happens. How long is the feeder from your antenna/preamp to the TVs and how many tuners in the apt?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Above rabbitears report indicates you should be able to receive Strong Ch9 and maybe Ch11 using ANT-741 connected to VHF Port of Preamp, with FM Filter enabled to partially reduce 2nd Order Harmonics that interfere with Hi-VHF Band Frequencies. But Ch5 is likely too weak. And you may also need an additional Full-Band FM Filter on the VHF Input to the Preamp.
https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Satellite-Broadcast-Epicenter-Reception/dp/B0024R4B5C
https://angelelectronics.ca/shop/ota/amplifiers-combiners-splitters/digital-tv-splitters/antennas-direct-fm-band-rejection-filter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts