Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Montreal, Canada

My cable and internet bill keep going up to over 100$ a month, about 115? now, with Bell which I cannot afford. I have been reading about cord cutting for ages. I need to do it because I just can't afford to be paying this monthly but I don't want to be without TV and unable to record.

I was totally going with the HDBunny which is made by someone in LaSalle that will also set it up for a fee. The advertisement says it is better than any off the shelf and having it set up seemed wise.

Then I started reading about the Roamio OTA VOX 1TB DVR - with No Monthly Service fee which is a bit pricey for me but I read a rave review so I was going with that, until I saw bad reviews on Amazon.

Then I saw HDBunny in Wacky, Tacky OTA Gear so maybe not.

I just bought a Samsung soundbar for better sound generally but also because I don't hear voices as well as I used to. I haven't hooked it up yet.

I have a 32" TV that is dying so I plan to buy Hisense H7608 55" 4KUHD due to a great review. Also, I will use this TV until it dies and 4K seems to be the way to go for longevity.

All of this is happening because I just got a couple of thousand dollars so I can invest although I would rather not spend it all because I am on a fixed income.

If I bought the wrong soundbar it isn't a big deal but I am frozen in indecision on everything else. I think I chose the right TV but I also thought I was clever getting an HDBunny.

Now I wonder if I should even take a chance on an antenna. What if I have to go back to cable after all? Then it would be a waste.

So after finding the wacky stuff thread I started looking around on this forum but I don't know where to start. I am not technical but I do install Windows and all my software on my own. I can hook up a stereo. I learned how to change electrical outlets last year. All the different cabling options like HDMI and the optical one are a mystery to me but if a manual says hook up A to B I'm comfortable doing that.

It's the choosing that is so stressful. If someone could please advise me or direct me to a thread or articles or anything that could help me decide what to do I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

A good start might be the OTA FAQ & Knowledge Base.

OTA is discussed in Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television.

Local reception results in QC - Montreal (Eastern areas), Laval, Laurentides, Lanaudi�re - OTA. Discuss local reception topics there. Members in the area may be able to recommend antennas and other equipment.

There is an antenna chart for popular makes and models here, OTA Antenna Chart/Tableau des Meilleures Antennes OTA - 17/05/2014. Antenna Research & Development provides information on building your own antenna.

There are threads for popular OTA DVRs, Channel Master DVRs For OTA, Silicon Dust vs. Tablo vs. Channel Master... and ATSC DVR & PVR Recorders (other than CM). That last thread is a bit long and dated near the start so you may want to skip ahead to more recent posts.

Some recommended sound bars. I usually look for a suitable soundbar when buying a new TV.

A good option for augmenting OTA is a media player and OTT streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crave TV or one of the many other services. Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV Just be sure your internet plan has lots of data to avoid excessive overage charges.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You should go to TV Fool, enter your location and then Copy/Paste the Results URL (Web Address at top of Browser) into a post so we can see your various signal strengths.

Do the same thing at FM Fool - Home, except you will need to RIGHT-CLICK "COPY LINK LOCATION" while running cursor on top of "SAVE IMAGE" that follows FM CHANNELS, and then PASTE that into a post.

You should ALSO enter your LOCATION and ANTENNA HEIGHT (above ground) into the rabbitears [more accurate & complete] ADDRESS SEARCH utility, incl. checking the SIGNAL STRENGTH check box and then Copy/Paste the Results URL into a post:
https://www.rabbitears.info/search.php

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
For convenience of other lurkers, here is your TVFool Report....YIKES, you're only a Mile Away and on 5th Floor....so closer to being IN the Beam, so signal levels MAY be considerably MORE than TVFool estimates:
TV Fool

You now have the distinguished Dis-Honor of having the HIGHEST Signal Strengths that I have EVER seen....which is very likely to be a PROBLEM that needs to be carefully addressed. The goal is to reduce the EXTREMELY High Signal Levels without overdoing it so much that the weak signals are lost....

FIRST of all, I would recommend you insert EITHER the fol. 20 dB VARIABLE COAX ATTENUATOR [they're going fast] OR the fol. 10 dB COAX ATTENUATOR as close as possible to the Coax Connector on the TV, such as fol.: [Indoor Location will also attenuate signals by about 10-20 dB.]
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=att-1
https://www.amazon.com/Phillmore-Cable-Signal-Attenuator-42-110/dp/B00OGL9MN0

For an Antenna, I would recommend you BEGIN by TRYING unbending a Paper Clip until it is straight (Yes, Really.....larger type is better) and poke it into the center hole on the Attenuator...orientation shouldn't be all that important since your signal levels are YHUGE. This will form a baseline to see how much better/worse other antennas might be....let us know your results...

IF you want to TRY to receive stations (such as PBS, FOX, etc) in the YELLOW Band, then you should buy the least expensive VHF/UHF TV Antenna you can find (NOT Amplified!!!!), such as fol. from WALMART [or ANY of the inexpensive Flat Types or a set of VHF Rabbit-Ears/UHF Loop] and try various pointing angles and LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. THEN you should Adjust (or Remove) the COAX ATTENUATOR and see which stations are ADDED....and which are LOST (if any) due to Overload:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Indoor-Television-Antenna-Box-Ready-HD-UHF-VHF-FM-Stereo-For-Satellite-Signal-HDPML/40906773

Note that most TV Antennas have Deep NULLS at 90-degrees away from the Max Beam Direction (for Flat Antenna, Null aligns with the PLANE of the Antenna). You might need to point the NULL towards 198-deg (re True North) in order to receive weaker stations toward 151-deg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts