Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a 50" Samsung Plasma, 7000 series. It replaced a 42" Samsung HPT4254. Just settled into watch it tonight, and have a disturbing problem, which after a bit of research, seems to be somewhat common.

The damn thing looks TOO real. The picture quality is incredible, but the whole experience is vastly different than we're used to (even on a crappy HDTV). The wife hates it. I can probably grow to get used to it.

I calibrated it according to the settings on the Plasma TV buying guide website, and that noticeably improved the colours and such... But it just looks _weird_. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I a lunatic?

Thanks for any comments you might have.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Travis does the picture look like a daytime soap? I think the problem is the TV is interpolating frames and giving you a smoother playback. It should be noticeable during pans. Since video is captured at 60Hz it looks similar. Note this is not the same as repeated frames.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The damn thing looks TOO real.
Wish I had your problem. ;)

Try turning off the "600Hz Subfield Motion" and other picture enhancements individually until the picture returns to "normal." I usually turn off most or all picture enhancements, including sharpness (set to 0.) They are often not needed with HDTVs and digital sources, especially very good sources like BD.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
travisc,

Couple of things which I think you are already aware of. Tone down the brightness which you presumably have with your tweaking. Images that are too bright in a dark room can be very disconcerting. Second, as noted by everyone, make sure any "picture enhancements" are turned off so you get a more natural picture.

Next. Have you "looked" at the picture in the sense that does everything look accurate? Funny skin tones and incorrect colours offend your sensibility. If the colours are inaccurate then you have some tweaking to do.

Finally, I understand what you're going through. When I first got my new Panny plasma, I was a bit overwhelmed at first by the step up in quality and a bit unnerved by how real it looked.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, guys.

As jake said, it does look soap opera-like. I believe I've turned off most of the enhancements, to not much effect. I just read something about the 7000 series that recommends turning on Game mode, which I'll try.

57, I fully understand what you're saying regarding calibration. However, using their settings did make the picture markedly better than any of the factory settings, so at least I'm a bit farther ahead.

hugh, the colours and tones definitely look good to me. I think if I can resolve the motion smoothness issue then I'll grow used to the amazing clarity. I watched a bit of the 2009 Star Trek on it last night while tinkering, and it's like a completely different movie!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Let me know if you figure it out and what settings. My brother just got one of the samsung 56" although its an LCD and he's having similar issues.

Picture makes everything look likes its a set. Depth is so good things seem like cardboard cut outs ect.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Don't compare LCD with Plasma when trying to isolate issues. Different technologies.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Further reading suggests the plasma "soap opera effect" issue results from the motion judder reduction it uses. Turning that off, which I thought I did, should fix it.

From what I can tell, the LCDs get that problem from the 120Hz and 240Hz technologies. If you turn that off, you lose that effect but then motion isn't as smooth.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Soap Opera Effect thread
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=110504

If that's what it is then I'm surprised. Something I've only ever associated with frame doubling on LCD.

In reading, I see the Samsung 7000 series has something called "Motion Judder Canceler" which could be causing the issue. I have no idea what exactly this does or why its needed.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So yes, it appears to be the motion judder canceller. I had it set to off, but it very obviously wasn't off. Now it is, and wowiewow, the TV looks great :) I even did the service menu trick to "upgrade" it to an 8000 series and all seems well.

Now for a firmware upgrade...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just looked at this thread and will confirm that motion judder "on" will make your TV look surreal. In my case, it was more of a problem with Windows Media Center and ripped DVD/Blu-ray. Perhaps due to a high bit rate, motion judder "on" made frames skip during fast motion. Turning motion judder "off" made the video motion perfect and smooth. It took me a few months to figure that one out. Very frustrating.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I had it set to off, but it very obviously wasn't off.
Why Samsung would put that on a plasma set is beyond me. No need for it. Guess they just want to say that both LCD and Plasma sets have it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts