Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When watching standard definition content, I get a vertical line the entire height more or less down the center of the screen where the colors are off. It looks like the colors are bleeding over from an inch or so to the side. It's most apparent on high-contrast images like cartoons, and much less visible over low-contrast images with natural tones, but it's always there in SD.

Here's a picture I took of the Simpsons to show what it looks like.

I'm running a DSR505 on a Sony Bravia. It's connected via HDMI but I have the same problem when I use component cables. I checked to see if the TV was the problem, but I only get the line with my receiver and not with anything else.

I wish Shaw had better tech support. Anybody got any ideas for me?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hmmmm...I'm not going to be of much help to you except to say that I also have a sony bravia ( 52" ) and have also noticed the exact same thing on occasion.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yep - been seeing the same thing here for years on all my TVs. My best guess is it is related to the encoding process being done at Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had the same problem with my 505's and my 530. I believe it's the unit trying to upconvert the standard def to 1080i. I have one 505 set to 720P on an older TV and the line never appears on that TV. I eventually set my 530 to 720P as well because I got tired of resetting the 530 to get rid of the line for a while. My other 505 is now set to passthrough (0000) and I don't get the line.

That's my experience, if I set it to passthrough or 720P then no line, if I set it to 1080i then I get the line. Setiing it to passthrough on my one TV resulted in ugly channel changes when switching from HD to SD so that's why I set that one to 720P, but setting it to passthroug on the other TV was fine so I left it like that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
excuse for my english,

you have to do a reset of your SD box, you have pressed at the button red for about 30 seconds and it will reboot and hop over the line

yaka

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had the same happen a few times with one of my 505's. As yakamoneye wrote, a front panel reset takes care of it for a while.

BTW, in my case it seems counter to what Ramdamit98 wrote. I don't recall seeing the line on the 505 set to 1080i. It only seems to happen on the one set to 720p.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Took a good look at my 505 set to passthrough to my 46 inch LCD and I notice there is a line. Very faint, you actually having to look for it to see it.

I've never seen the line on my older LCD with the 505 set to 720. Now that older LCD is only a 37 inch TV and maybe it's just not noticabe on a smaller TV, but I had that TV for 2 years before getting my 42 inch LCD and tried both recievers both TV's in all kinds of combinatons and only noticed the line when set to 1080i.

I am going to have to revisit this as until today I had never noticed when set to passthrough. I've seen the line come back on passthrough and 1080i while mab has noticed on 720 so I guess since that covers all the resolutions it's back to resetting the 505 everytime it comes back.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Crap! And here I was going to rag on Sony for panel delamination on our XBR4 and push for a replacement before the EW is up this fall!:rolleyes: I've had it on and off for a couple of years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts