Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was watching the WJBK (Fox 2 Detroit) morning show today and they had a rep from Verizon Wireless on the set discussing 4G launching in suburban Detroit. The host asked the rep why it wasn't launching yet in Metro Detroit, as the rep had previously noted that they expect it to launch in Metro by the end of Summer 2011, and the rep said the reason it can't launch right now in Metro is due to interference with a Canadian OTA station.

What, if anything do we know about this? I am wondering if this may be the reason why CHWI-TV asked the CRTC to approve a change in it's NTSC operations from RF 60 to RF 26?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Verizon's LTE (4G) service utilizes the 700 MHz band. Canada still has stations on the air in those frequencies. Until the channels above 51 go away, LTE from Verizon will have to wait.

The same situation will be present in any US market area adjacent to Canadian or Mexican markets that are on the air in the affected band.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I suspect there's an international treaty that prevents these services from lighting up until after the Canadian transition date. I could be completely wrong on that, but it would make a lot of sense.

- Trip

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
TV frequency allocations are covered by IC and FCC agreements which backed by appropriate laws and treaties. That's why the August 2011 transition deadline cannot be changed in Canada, at least for channels above 51. Everything below that is also subject to IC & FCC agreements but that is for things like station ERP and frequency, not signal type. So, for example, a station like channel 42, CTV, in Oil Springs does not need to transition to digital but they must adjust signal strength and other parameters to that prescribed by international agreement. Canadian stations currently on channels from 52 to 69 must vacate those frequencies by the August 2011 deadline.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
trip said:
I suspect there's an international treaty that prevents these services from lighting up until after the Canadian transition date
Industry Canada and the FCC exchange LOUs ("Letters Of Understanding") that have the same legal weight as a treaty in regards to RF spectrum management. LOUs don't happen often, but when they do they tend to chart the changes in advance for several years. The more mundane tasks are just expected to be done by either side as a day-to-day operational fact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My friend in the UP just got a new Verizon account and there was nothing in the press about the 4G delay...big surprise to find out

·
Registered
534 Posts
It is highly improbable that the UP will be getting LTE very soon anyway since Verizon has barely started its LTE rollout and is focusing on major metro areas first. Sparsely populated service areas will likely take several years for LTE upgrades.

The "delay" would be on a market-specific basis only if there were internationals stations still utilizing the target spectrum. The Detroit area happens to fall into this category.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts