Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Verizon poured some gas onto the iPhone fire when it announced Tuesday that it would offer the same $30 unlimited data plan for the iPhone as it offers for all of its other smartphones.

AT&T customers now pay $15 a month for 250 megabytes of monthly data, or $25 for 2 gigabytes and an additional $10 for each gigabyte of monthly data usage that exceeds the allotted 2 GB limit.

It should be noted though that Verizon plans will be more expensive than AT&T so if you use under 2GB a month of data, the AT&T plan will be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
While it looks like a good idea now, I wonder when they'll decide "unlimited" only means 5GB. After that I could see them lowering the limits over time like most of the other carriers did.

It would be nice to see them keep an unlimited plan but I just don't see them maintaining it for too long.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to say. Clearly Verizon has experience with offering unlimited on other smartphones so maybe they think it'll be okay or maybe they'll add some type of "fair use" clause that gives them the ability to clamp down on select over-eaters.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
And they have already modified the offer;

But by Tuesday afternoon, the company updated its announcement and backpedaled, saying it would only offer the unlimited iPhone data plan "for a limited time." Those who get in during the window will have unlimited data on their iPhones throughout the life of their Verizon contract.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I'm sure you meant LTE, right? AFAIK, Verizon has no intentions of building an HSPA network. :)

Also, we now know the catch with this plan: it does not include the Personal Hotspot capability. Verizon is going to be charging $20 in addition to the standard data rates, and this only gives 2GB of data for that mode. Each additional GB used for the Hotspot access will cost $20. Could get pricey really fast.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Every time I've used Verizon wireless broadband, it's been brutally slow. ESPN.com might take 20 seconds to load. YouTube videos take at least three times as long as the time of the video. etc. So, even if Verizon is offering "unlimited", I'm guessing most people will be de facto "limited" by the (lack of) speed and frustration that comes with waiting for pages to load.

And keep in mind, this was all well ahead of the iPhone launch. When/where data use is heavy (think hotel at night), whether you're tethering even just using the iPhone's apps that require data, I'm not seeing a lot of happy users.

Verizon is doing the right thing in getting people excited with promises of "limited time unlimited" data. Get people to rush in to sign up for that before word starts filtering back that life is not necessarily faster in Verizon-land.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
AT&T customers now pay $15 a month for 250 megabytes of monthly data, or $25 for 2 gigabytes and an additional $10 for each gigabyte of monthly data usage that exceeds the allotted 2 GB limit.
In the FWIW column - I have an iPhone 3Gs 32Gb with 2Gb/month plan from Rogers, and have never come even close to that much data in a month. And I do use it for browsing and email at times, albeit not every day.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the 6GB plan on Rogers and never come close although the other day, I realized my son was watching Wizards of Waverly over 3G on my iPhone in the car.

Don't know how much bandwidth that was but if you used your smartphone as a little TV, it could add up to a fair bit of usage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts