Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
As an Optik Tv subscriber is there a charge for the increase in internet speed from 19.2 to 25. mbps. to accommodate the 3rd. HD stream? Getting conflicting info from different Customer support reps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From my conversations with Telus there is no charge for the extra HD stream, but their system will not currently allow upgrades to the new profile. You have to be a new user from what I've been told to get this new profile. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just going off of my multiple conversations and complaints to telus customer service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They just told me January 2011 at the earliest...

I've called Telus a few times since the new profiles were released as the online tool indicated it was available for my #. The first time they told me it wasn't quite ready yet and I'd have to keep calling back in to check. Today they indicated that it is ready in my area for new subscribers but that Telus doesn't have an ordering system process in place yet to upgrade current customers and that they won't have one ready until January 2011 at the earliest. I had her complete and submit a complaint form for me about the delay for existing subscribers. I made the move to Telus just before the new profiles became available (knowing that they would be available soon) and would have waited a month if I'd known it would take them 6+ months just to change the profile.

·
Registered
30 Posts
25 meg Profile up and running!

After being told that I could have it and then told I couldn't a couple of times. I now have my 3 Hd stream but it was not an easy journey and required multiple phone calls over 3 weeks+. I was also told that I would have to wait until the end of the year at one point but managed to get hold of a loyalty person to finally get me the 3rd. stream after much back and forth. It is also costing me an extra $13.00/month the upgraded Internet speed.

·
Super Moderator
17,483 Posts
@C Goon, how much are you paying and what speed are you getting for that price?

Regular Optik High Speed is up to 15Mbps and the bundled price is $37/month.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is BS that it costs an extra 13 bucks a month just for an extra stream, should be free as were already paying a hell of alot for the cable. I could understand the price going up if you just wanted the internet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
There is no cost for an extra stream, you get the best profile available to you at the same cost. People within the 26 meg footprint can opt for 25 megs internet instead of 15, and that's where the extra cost comes from.

-Telus Employee

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not sure about the price after the promo year but right now I believe I'll be paying $23.00 for the next 9 months or so until my promo runs out. The hard wired connection speedtest was 23.7 mbps. and on my iMac which is wireless the best I attained was 22.8 mbps., these of course are download speeds. The upload speeds are consistently over 2.50 mbps. wired or wireless. The tech support said they were getting a reading of 32 mbps on my connection from their central office but that I could not expect to reach those speeds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
All the 26.2 vdsl profiles are rate adaptive. Basically everyone connects at 32megs or so. (Since the requirements are high).

Just leaves more overhead for internet when watching tv, which is never a bad thing.

-Telus employee.

·
Registered
783 Posts
With the 19.2 meg profile there is approximately 4 meg reserved for internet use. Is there more than 4 meg available for internet with the 26 meg profile even with all 4 TV streams in use? Internet is still capped at 15 meg when on the 26 meg profile unless you subscribe to the faster internet mentioned earlier in this thread?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had install done on Monday. On the Optik website, I'm supposed to be able to get 2 HD and 1 SD Stream which is no biggie as I only have 1 TV total. Supposed to be on the 19.2 Mbps profile (I'm assuming), but even with the TV turned off, a number of speedtest results are showing that despite being plugged through Ethernet directly to the Telus allinone, I'm maxing at 11 Mbps download.

Live in Vancouver (nearish UBC, Quilchena north of Kerrisdale area), tested with Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, Bellingham servers.

Is this normal? On Shaw Extreme I was testing 17 Mbps easily

·
Registered
783 Posts
Supposed to be on the 19.2 Mbps profile (I'm assuming), but even with the TV turned off, a number of speedtest results are showing that despite being plugged through Ethernet directly to the Telus allinone, I'm maxing at 11 Mbps download.
Don't forget that you need to have the Set top box turned off, not just the TV. The box is tuned to a channel and using bandwidth if it is turned on even if the TV is off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry should have specified originally the STB was already off - the remote turns both the TV and STB on or off together

Talked to tech support for about an hour, reset the gateway, reset the STB, disabled wireless on the gateway, plugged in a different ethernet port, unplug the power from the STB (and leave it unplugged), unplug the coaxial to the powerless STB...

I peaked at 12 Mbps!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had this too....try to change the settings on the speedtest. If you change it to kilobytes then you should see it jump up to 1500 kbps....it has to do with bits and bytes. It is a bit confusing so you can look it up if you want to learn more. I was sitting around 12 megabits per second....but when i changed it all was back to normal.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
With the 19.2 meg profile there is approximately 4 meg reserved for internet use. Is there more than 4 meg available for internet with the 26 meg profile even with all 4 TV streams in use? Internet is still capped at 15 meg when on the 26 meg profile unless you subscribe to the faster internet mentioned earlier in this thread?
The 26 meg profile is rate adaptive and will sync around 30 megs for most people. With 3 HD streams running (at a little over 5 megs each) and 1 SD stream (at about 2.5 megs) it leaves about 12 megs left over for internet.

Of course, if a person barely qualified for 26, then they'd sync lower, and so they'd have less room left over for internet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An update - the installer who did my install came back this morning, ran some diagnostic tests (handheld DSL modem thing), it showed that I was somehow synced on a 15 Mbps profile at the wall. He drove to the neighbourhood box, moved to a different port, came back, now synced at 19 Mbps.

Actual speed tests are now hitting 13 or so (still not 15), but at least I know for sure I was legitimately set up incorrectly the first time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Basically at this point telus will put you on the top profile available regardless if you have 1 black and white tv or 4 high def tv's.

What a 90 year old grandma with no internet and one non pvr box needs with 3 hd streams I'll never know :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have any existing customers managed to upgrade to the 26mbps profile? Telus' internal systems say that my 'hood has VSDL2 ports available and my connection can do up to 45mbps. Yet when I talk to them they say its not yet available.

I'm curious to see how close I can get to the 26mbps speed because on 15mbps I'm getting 14.25 :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I was over at my brother-in-law's place today. They can only get 1HD/2SD on their TTV system but have the booster before the D-Link box. So I imagine that the box is there to match the hardware more than for high-speed capacity? I'll have to go do a speedtest to see what it does w/o any streams.

41 - 60 of 287 Posts