Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone been able to confirm this? I see no mention of it anywhere on Telus's website for internet or TTV. I like everyone else am being told I only qualify for 1HD\2SD by the website.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just checked my phone number on the telus website for optic tv service and is says 1 HD and 2 SD streams. For the hell of it I tried my grandfather's number and it says 3 HD and 1 SD for his place which is only a few blocks away from mine!! I hope my place can get 3 HD and 1 SD streams soon so I can make the switch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Where is it that it actually tells you how many and what type of feeds you qualify for? When I typed in my info it only said I qualified and so I then phoned Telus to find out what I qualified for and that is when I was informed it was the lowest level of 1HD and 2SD.

Brewster

·
Super Moderator
17,511 Posts
brewster007, you should see a message that looks something like this:
Good news! Optik™ TV service is now available.
Browse our selection of over 450 channels and 45 HD channels. Add them to a package that's right for you.

All packages include FREE HD channels and all digital boxes are HD enabled.
Based on the information that you have provided, you can watch TELUS TV on up to 6 TVs in your home. And you can watch 1 live programs in HD and 2 in standard definition at the same time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks Dr. Dave. Maybe it is because I am not a current Telus customer.

Here is the message I get: Congratulations. Optik™ TV service is available in this area.
To order Optik TV, you will also need to also order at least one of: TELUS Home Phone or TELUS High Speed Internet. To become a TELUS customer, order a bundle or call 310-MYTV (6988) and we'll get you started.

So what I did was answer the question as if I had High Speed Internet and it came back with the response that you have provided. So in the future as I check I will answer it as if I have a service. Hopefully it won't be too long until I can get 2hd live steams as I really want to make the move.

Thanks Again

Brewster

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'd call and not rely on the internet. The last few respondents on this page all currently have 2HD/1SD service, am looking at telus.com/tv to see if they can get 3HD/1SD only to be told they can only get 1HD/2SD. :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
what can the PVR record with VDSL

hey.

so I have upgraded my home (with only 1TV and HDPVR attached) to 25mb/sec and the speed on my internet reflects this and after a minor upgrade to the box to allow for 1SD/3HD... I now have a question. I also got the VDSL modem.

Does the box allow for 3 HD recordings/feeds at same time or is the 3HD feeds for a total household at once number?

I tried to record 3 HD feeds at same time and I got a message saying that my box was already recording 2 and was leaving the 1 extra for other units in my house. I only have 1 TV and 1 box?

my question essetially is this. What is the capacity of the HDPVR? is it only dual HD tuner? I figured that because I started with 2HD/1SD, which equals 3 tuners, I would get the 3HD at once allowance.

thanks!

Bonus question :)

Does the vdsl modem work with the apple time capsule. I tried and my internet worked fine but the TV would not after 3-5 mins of viewing, it would hang on the pic. I'm thinking the time capsule cannot handle a vdsl stream.

·
Super Moderator
17,511 Posts
@scrutman, I was surprised by your question, so I checked on some of the AT&T U-verse forums and you are correct. (AT&T uses Mediaroom and started 3HD/1SD early this year).

It looks like a limitation of the PVR. You should be able to record 2 HD and 2 SD at the same time. If you are willing to test it, I'd like to hear if that works. If you had another TV, you would be able to record 2 HD and 1 SD and watch 1 HD live on the other TV.

·
Registered
598 Posts
There were 2 Telus techs working at the SAC box up the road from me so I went to talk to them. They tell me VDSL2 has been installed since June and it is 25Mbps. So i went home, called the TTV rep who tells me it's still just 19.2 Mbps. :confused:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Some recently installed RDAC's are all set to go for 26 meg on all ports, others need their cards replaced or upgraded.

·
Banned
328 Posts
^^ My profile has also been updated. I called about the VDSL2 and he said my area (in Edmonton) was not yet available. He said they would put people on the list so when the 26 Mbps is ready you should be automatically switched over (may require a visit from TELUS). He also mentioned 2 other new technologies, one for new subdivisions and one for the older homes that will provide fibre optic feeds right to the house with speeds of 50-100 Mbps. Let's hope he was right and it is soon :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know this is a little off topic but I was wondering if there was a way to determine what channel the second or third box in your house is running from the pvr stb. Reason I ask is that I am trying to figure out how this 3 hd channels work now that I am upgraded to 25mb/s. From what I have read and seen the extra hd channel doesn't affect my pvr....only the second box (which is used by a renter). Just be nice to see what they were watching so I could keep track of the feeds.

·
Super Moderator
17,511 Posts
There isn't any menu item on the PVR to allow you to see what is being viewed on the other STBs.

If you try to use more than 3 HD feeds, you will get a message asking whether you want to interrupt another TV or recording.

Other than that, I'm not sure how many boxes you have in total and what you're trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just got off the phone with a telus agent. She said there is no VDSL2 in my area of Edmonton (106st NW) I guess I will keep calling every few weeks and keep up with this forum for more info. Anyone in Edmonton have VDSL2 right now?

21 - 40 of 287 Posts