Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a heads-up, the VDSL2 profiles were released on June 29th. If there happens to be VDSL2 capable cards in your SAC/JWI, then you may be able to get more HD feeds.

Check telus.com/tv and enter your phone number to see if the number of HD streams changed.

New profiles are:
19.4meg - 2HD, 1SD - will probably be a similar footprint to 15meg ADSL. Won't drop below 6 megs.
26meg - 3HD, 1SD

You'll need a VDSL2 modem in front of the Dlink gateway. These have been installed since the beginning of June on orders and repairs. If you have one, you don't need a tech visit, otherwise you will.

Also, this means that people who want internet-only will be able to order the 25 meg service. Previously, this was limited to people in ETTS buildings or GPON test neighborhoods.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there anything you need to do to get vdsl2? Do you need to call telus or do you just get it right now? thanks for the info....very good news...apparently I am eligible :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phone in. I don't really know what procedure the reps have been given for updates, so please post your results.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went to the Telus site and typed my information in but all it said was I qualified for Optik TV. I guess I will need to phone in to find out if I will get 2HD and 1SD. The last time I checked, when it did show it, I could only get 1HD and 2SD streams. If I can now get 2HD streams I will be making the move.

Brewster

·
Banned
328 Posts
I have had Optik TV since day one and love it but would really love the 26 meg to push it from 2 HD/1 SD to 3 HD/1 SD. I thought I would type my number in to see and it said I qualify for only 1 HD/2 SD lol, don't trust that link, make sure to call TELUS to find out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got my VDSL2 modem put in today in front of the Dlink. I requested one, also geting the bridgetap removed on my line.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hmm,

I had the adsl2+ 19.2 profile.

I plugged in my vdsl modem i was given by installer. Just to see if will work now as per this thread. It worked... but im getting the exact same speeds. Just another box lol. Considering unplugging. No real benefit at all.

Upload/DL speed on my server is the same.

·
Super Moderator
17,241 Posts
random2k, before you unplug the VDSL2 modem, I would suggest a couple of things.

1) Try a speed test with 1 HD stream active and see if you get more than 10 Mbps. It could be internet speed is capped at 15 Mbps.

2) Call Telus. They may have to do something at their end to activate the VDSL2 profile. It's also possible that they have to plug your line into VDSL2 card in the fibre-optic cabinet. Presumably, you're already plugged into a VDSL2 compatible card if they left you the modem.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I called in today and I do indeed have a 26mb profile availability. They are sending a tech on the 15th of July (wish it could be sooner) because they need to reprogram the router I guess. I am very excited because that was the only thing I was worried about at all. Hopefully this becomes more common for other people...the weird thing is that I am in an older house in Red Deer so they must have just upgraded everything on telus' end before it gets to my house. Hopefully means it might be more likely for others to get it. Will post more when it is activated

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I currently have the 2HD/1SD service (installed last week). But the Telus site says that I qualify for the 1HD/2SD service. Weird... And I know I can watch/record 2HD streams. I've done it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It does the same thing for me too, and I've also very definitely watched one HD stream while recording another. Go fig. Anyway, I called in to check and the VDSL profiles aren't in my area yet. Oh well -- I'll just have to live with my slow 14.4 Mbps connection for the meantime... :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
For those of us who had Mediaroom installed in February before they started installing VDSL modems does anyone know if there is a process to upgrade the modems (or just send a new one out for us to install) for us or do we have to phone in and schedule an appointment with a technician for that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
update: I contacted Telus and our profile has not changed - stil 1hd, 2sd so I will just have to wait and keep checking. The operator did say the goal is to have everyone at a minimum of 2hd and 1sd but it will take time.

Brewster

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm having the same issue as others, I've been on 2HD/1SD since March but the website now says I only can get 1HD/2SD. Strange.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@random2k:

The VDSL2 modem will only help if you're changed to a VDSL profile. So you can check telus.com/tv or call in to see if you can be switched.

@Dr.Dave

We're leaving VDSL2 modems on all Optik installs and repairs, whether there are VDSL2 cards or not. So someone having a modem isn't necessarily an indication of kind of card they have. Once the cards are in, no physical change is required.

@PaulE

If you don't have a VDSL2 modem then you'll need a tech visit, as far as I know. They're pretty simple to plug in, so they could be mailed, but I don't think that we're doing that yet.

@mellaby

The Dlink isn't a VDSL2 modem. If it's connected to a VDSL2 card, then it will work if the card set on an ADSL2+ profile. If the profile is changed to VDSL2, then the Dlink won't sync.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Called Telus today (been out of town for too long) and it seems VDSL2 isn't available where I am either. Checked the telus site and it tells me I can have 1 HD/2SD streams even though I've had Meria Room (2HD/1SD) since mid February.

1 - 20 of 287 Posts