Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Signature this evening and have just finished hooking them up. These are true full-range speakers.

Baffleless (no box enclosure) and time and phase aligned design.

Haven't really had a chance to listen to them at normal volumes (it 'is' late night) so will do some real listening tomorrow.

Here's a review.

This brings my speaker journey of the last few months to an end. I auditioned many speakers (both new and used) and contacted many more people. Came very close to pulling the trigger a few times but something or the other prevented closure - was sometimes a little late, sometimes we were apart on price by a small amount ($50 in one case) and a few times it just didn't 'feel right' and I walked away.

Looking forward to rediscovering my music in the coming days.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Very interesting set of speakers. Be very interested on your feedback on them and how they sound. It seems to me the natural diffusiveness of the baffleless design would make the sound thin and make them totally victims of any imprefect room or treatment.

I own (or have owned) a number of differently-ported speakers (Bostons, Athenas, SDs, Missions, CVs), and although each design has benefits (mainly bass tightness vs. fullness), I can't imagine how a baffleless speaker sounds.

Just our of curiosity, how well did these hold their value? Be interested considering the Stereophile article cited them being at $1,295/pr.

Regardless, congratulations! Buying new speakers you like is always a fantastic experience.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Disclaimer - I'm still in the honeymoon stage.

When I auditioned the speakers, the guy also had a pair of ESS, a smaller pair of Energy's and an older pair of decent speaker (forget the brand now) and we listened to all of them in his basement with no treatments.

I kept coming back to the Vandies again and again. It is the most neutral speaker I have heard. It just makes you listen to the music and forget about the speakers (which is a hard thing for me to do as, in pursuit of this hobby, I have over the years sort of become trained to listen to the 'sound' and not the music).

The sound is not at all diffuse in my room and my room is not treated. In fact on one side is a wall while the other side only has a half-wall - not ideal at all. I was concerned about the baffle-less design but it's been a total non-issue. I just love listening to them - the mids are so natural, the lows are low (no sub) and yet well defined. You don't realize the imaging that you're getting until someone walks in front of the speaker (which is possible to do in this room).

The other thing I was concerned with was its low efficiency (86db). I'm currently driving them with a low-fi Denon 7.1 (only the 2 speakers are connected). I have not been able to play them loud enough to feel any lack of power - in fact you don't realize how loud they're playing until someone tries to talk to you. It's just very effortless sound.

I can't help wondering how they'd sound with XPA-2's - something with 'real' juice. I guess buying speakers means new amps and such .... will have to save up for it.

The closest I can compare them to are a pair of PSB's I auditioned once - and they didn't go as low. My Athena F2's downstairs seem harsh in comparison.

I even love just looking at them but they have NO WAF. My wife had a very doubtful look when I first lugged them in. I just love them.

The price you've quoted is each so the pair is twice that. They've held their price very well. There are a couple of them on the Canadian site and they go for $1000 or so.

ps. I almost bid on eljay's Paradigms ....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts