Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vancouver's newest radio station, 100.5 the PEAK began testing its transmitter last week. The Peak will be an adult alternative radio station that will be putting an emphasis on new and emerging artists with a secondary focus on alternative music from the 80's & 90's.

The station is scheduled to officially go on-air with its real format November 13th. During the testing phase, the station will be playing a broad range of music from various artists.

The station also announced that Peter Schaad will be leaving the QMFM morning show to join the PEAK as Drive Home host.

Peak Airplay

Radiohead - Coldplay - Gomez - Eddie Vedder - Matthew Good - Plain White T's - Feist - Jeremy Fisher - Joss Stone - Ben Harper - K.T. Tunstall - Arcade Fire - The Killers - Counting Crows - Barenaked Ladies - David Gray - Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Police - The Fray - Green Day - U2 - Snow Patrol - Sheryl Crow - Mike Doughty - Paulo Nutini - Cake - Colbie Caillat - Cowboy Junkies - R.E.M. - Jimmy Eat World - Third Eye Blind - Buckcherry - Gorillaz - Amy Winehouse - Spoon - Beck - Collective Soul - Weezer - Ben Folds Five - Soul Coughing - The Verve Pipe - Pearl Jam - Live - Stone Temple Pilots...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I find 100.5 an interesting choice since Victoria broadcasts the Q on 100.3, and when I'm in Vancouver I have typically received the Q quite clearly; I suppose that's no longer the case.

I would also think that those in between (say, Galilano Island, or even Nanaimo) may get conflicting signals and therefore receive both poorly.

Anyone know if the frequency was challenged by the Q? Is the FM band in Vancouver so crowded that they have to broadcast so close to a well established signal of a neighbour?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know if the frequency was challenged by the Q?
The broadcasting decision that approved this.

According to it 100.3 is owned by Pattison, the same group that owns Peak.

·
Registered
42 Posts
All three of the FM stations listed in the CRTC decision are approved for low power transmitters, from 2600W to 8900W. I understand this is to reduce adjacent channel interference but won't this cause reception problems in many areas of metro Vancouver? How can a commercial station such as Pattison's at 100.5 be viable with such a weak 2600W signal?

·
Registered
580 Posts
That isn't really all that weak. Remember that transmitter power is exponential. 100kw is really only double the power of 10kw. With a well located (ie: lower) antenna, that could actually lead to more reliable reception within the actual rated market.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Peak or Park?

I have been listening to this new fm-er for about a week now and I swear they call themselves The Park not The Peak.

Most of the music they are 'testing' with comes from the AM 600 and JR Country libraries and some from the new library they'll be playing when the middle of November arrives. Not sure where they bought the new stuff from. Some of it's pretty 'hard'.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See post #1
During the testing phase, the station will be playing a broad range of music from various artists.
What you're hearing now is not what the station will be playing on November 13th.

·
Registered
547 Posts
100.5 The Peak

Here's a little info from Gord Lansdell about this new FM station.

Broadcast professionals and enthusiasts:

As you very likely know, a significant event takes place Thursday, November 13, as CKBD 600AM becomes 100.5 FM "The PEAK" with a new AAA format.

I am pleased to have been asked to compile a special program detailing the history of the station, which started in 1924 as CFXC, progressing through several decades as CJOR, then CHRX and most recently CKBD.

The program will be voiced by Gord Eno and produced by Bill Jackson of the Jim Pattison Vancouver stations. It will run at approximately 5:30 p.m. Thursday on 600AM only, and will feature a number of original off-air audio clips, including the familiar voices of Billy Browne, Pat Burns, Dick Diespecker, Brian Forst, Monty McFarlane, Jack Short, Vic Waters and Jack Webster.

It will be followed at 6 p.m. by a unique live broadcast from a special venue, which will run on both 600AM and The PEAK. At 7 p.m. The PEAK will officially launch and will be simulcast on 600AM for an undetermined length of time.

For those who miss the broadcast, I have been assured that it will be available streamed on The PEAK's website in the future.

http://www.600am.com/

http://www.thepeak.fm/

Thanks for listening,

Gord Lansdell

Editor/Webmaster, Northwest Broadcasters http://nwbroadcasters.com
Editor/Webmaster, Vancouver Broadcasters http://vancouverbroadcasters.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
RDS

I'm not getting any RDS info from the Peak. Many of the other local stations send at least the station ID, some send song titles, weather etc. Strange for a new station not to have this.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump, going on air today

1 - 12 of 12 Posts