Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going from Ontario to BC for July and Aug to "babysit" a relatives home on Vancouver Island. They don't have SAT. If I take my dish and receiver with me will it work out there? I don't plan on purchasing any PPV while there so wasn't planning on connecting to a phone line.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes it will.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
You can even tell Bell TV you are moving...they will come install the dish free of charge. Once you go back home call them back to saying you moved back to the old adress

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes there is a limit.

You are only entitled to 1 "Free Move Promo" every 6 months.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Once he goes back to Ontario he won't need another moving promo since his dish will stay there, so, as long as he didn't move in the last 6 months he is alright

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would NOT recommend that you try to use the moving promotion for a temporary two-month situation.

As the former Bell TV agent should know, this could cause several headaches for you. Once you move, you change the Bell TV account to a BC account. If you're on One Bill and receiving a Bundle discount, you will lose that discount for your tv. You may even jeopardize the discounts for your other services.

Then, you'll have to change back when you return to Ontario. You may have to wait a couple of billing cycles for bundling to take effect. Plus, you may be charged the processing fee for putting the tv service back into the bundle.

There aren't a lot of installers for Vancouver Island, anyway.

If you can move and point your own dish, you may want to do it yourself, to save yourself some potential problems and phone calls. Remember though, it kinda goes against your service agreement.

You could just put your account on TPS and do without TV for the summer. You may enjoy it.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Remember though, it kinda goes against your service agreement.
Not if it is done the right way. Bell will do a temporary address change for vacation purposes. They just won't do a free dish installation or leave receivers at both addresses active during that time. It's easy to set up a temporary dish. Portable "RV" dishes are available or a standard dish can be mounted on a portable surface. I agree that using the move promo might not be a good idea. It could affect other accounts or incur extra fees. Bell dishes and LNBs can be picked up cheap from places like Kijiji or eBay.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Four off topic and one inflammatory post removed. Please stick to the topic at hand.

·
Registered
988 Posts
One thing to keep in mind as well if you use the cottage movers option is that you will be flagged in Bell's system as such, and there is greater chance their SAT team will call you to audit that all your receivers are used in one place. Serial #, card #, location ID, etc on all receivers - PITA. Bell Agents on this forum have indicated this in the past.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I wasn't suggesting to use the cottage option...I was suggesting that he tells Bell TV he is moving to the adress he will be at in BC. He will therefore get free dish install (no hassle to remove dish in Ontario, no hassle to hook it in BC) in BC, and once he returns home to Ontario just calls back and say he is in Ontario now, so that account gets switch back to his old adress. Since his dish would have remained in Ontario there is no problem, he doesn't need a second moving promo

ScaryBob if all receivers are at the same location it's not against the service agreement
Section 5(a) applies to you even if you order the
Programming for a secondary location, vacation
property or mobile unit, such as a camper, boat or
recreational vehicle. You may not, under any
circumstances, including vacation properties, maintain
multiple IRDs on one Bell TV Account that are active at
different locations simultaneously. If an IRD is installed
in a mobile unit such as a camper, boat or other
recreational vehicle, you are only permitted to have one
IRD active on that Account.
http://www.bell.ca/web/common/en/all_regions/pdfs/tv/residential_customer.pdf

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wasn't suggesting to use the cottage option...I was suggesting that he tells Bell TV he is moving to the adress he will be at in BC.
As I already pointed out, that sort of action is not only fraudulent and dishonest, but could lead to complications with your tv account.

This suggestion is highly irresponsible, especially from someone who knows what sort of changes are made when move orders are processed. A new account would be set up, the old one closed. If the customer's on One Bill and getting bundles, he would lose his bundle discount, and would have to re-apply to get it once he "moves back". Not only that, but another account would be created for his Ontario address again, and the BC account then closed. He might lose a promotion that he's currently on, etc...

That's a lot more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with Roman. As a Bell TV employee, I can tell you that when we put through a move order for satellite TV in a different province, we will need to change the "agent code" in the system and this will generate a new account for the province of BC (because of tax rates) - then you will lose your Bell TV bundle and bundle discounts (if you have any.) Your old account with close and you will have a new account number and there will be an account transfer done on the bill, so the billing will be quite complicated. Then when you move back, there will be the same issue with the account transfer and change in address. It's your choice if you still want to take advantage of the "move order" but I will tell you now that there will be a lot hassles and headaches.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If it hasn't already been stated one other option is call Bell and request that they separate your "invoice to" and "service at" addresses on your account. And then as you note you'd have to take down your antenae and take it with you. As far as I know this is legit, will not mess up any of your account settings, and will ensure that your local time is correct on your program guide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts