Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V165 Firmware for 6141 Discussion - External HD enabled (green pixelation issues)

Firmware V165 is now available for the 6141 receiver which enables the external HD functionality

This thread replaces our ExpressVu 6141 plus External HDD = Instant PVR
discussion thread.

A few Members have confirmed the functionality is working.

According to DrewSat in another thread
For the next week, you may need to have your receiver "hit"/re-synchronized/re-authorized, or whatever you may want to call it. This is an extra step beyond just downloading the software.
Discuss the new firmware in this thread.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Other notes from DAG

Here is just a few helpful facts

• Support is up to 1T. Most drives will work but as always with hard drive there are so many flavors out there, you may get poor performance out of cheap ones
Note (I am using the Lacie 750GB and WD 1T with a NexStar 3 enclosures with no issues to date)
• STB will reset when removing and adding the EHD. This allows the STB to go from standard mode to DVR mode
• Adding the EHD you also get additional functionality
- Name based recording and VuPass
- 9 Day EPG (Electronic program guide)
• You can share EHD's with multiple 6141 in your home/account (security measure prevent passing it to other home/accounts so don't try it and stop being so greedy)
- All DVR timers set attached to the EHD drive, so if the drive is not connected or powered on, will not see those timers in your menu

Additional things to note:

No USB hubs are not supported (You could use a powered USB hub but the STB will only read the first one powered on
notebook drives (2.5") are not supported (yes I know they somewhat work on the 9242 but very poor performance do to power ect... (trust me I've tried)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post deleted.

Please do not discuss where to get the best deal on an external hd in this thread. We want this thread for discussing the use of the 6141 and the new firmware.

Feel free to discuss what hard drives and capacities you've successfully used with the 6141 but any "best deals on external hard drives" discussion should take place in the digital deals forum

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok I guess I'll chime in here, I have been using a Western Digital 500 GB SATA Hard Drive with a Vantec NexStar CX Enclosure since yesterday with absolutely no trouble. All I can say is so far so good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not working

Did a rehit to activate the function.

Connected my hard drive. It was detected by the receiver and asked to reformat.

Did that then it says it needs to restart the receiver to activate the PVR functionality. When it restarts it still does not work.

Tried it 3 times with no success.

Anybody have any ideas.

Its a simpletech 5ooG.

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hit? Rehit?

:confused:

Quoting Drewsat

"For the next week, you may need to have your receiver "hit"/re-synchronized/re-authorized, or whatever you may want to call it."

And madmart says "Did a rehit".

Could somebody please explain to a newbie how to do that, without having to call a BellTV online support person (who apparently aren't exactly familiar with this new feature in the 165 firmware)?

I understand it involves opening bell.ca in a browser, but beyond that I have no idea how to proceed.

TIA!

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint-Hilaire, QC

·
Registered
694 Posts
Came home, saw 165 f/w, powered off, added a TrekStor 500GB, powered back on.

Got the 499 error, called Bell, Auto attendant asked me to enter the error code, did that, error code not recognized. Repeated three times, transferred to live CSR.

Total on phone time was less than 10 minutes. She said should be ready in 2 - 4 hours. Was up and recording within 15 minutes!!!!

Vis

·
Registered
32 Posts
I connected my brand new Seagate 500gb Freeagent external hard drive to the 6141 and it said to call Bell to activate the feature. Bell just had to send a "hit" to the 6141 and the PVR feature was activated in minutes even though they said it may take 15 mins to a few hours to activate. Even after activated the 6141 asks you to format the drive. Then the unit restarted on its own after formatting and the unit was working as a normal PVR after that. This confirms that even with the V165 firmware already updated I still needed a "hit" to activate the PVR function. On a side note the tech person also said that there is NO fee right now for activation. A $25 fee may apply for future activations, but for anyone activating now it's FREE. :D

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I am pretty sure the reason for having to call Bell to activate the function is because the 6141 has been installed for many Commercial customers and they are not allowed to have PVR's. This way, only regular Customers get the activation.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry Hugh for the previous post..

Plug'd in new Comstar 500gb drive, poped up with the Call to have it activated. I just left it and did the syncro from bells web site and let it sit for about 5 more minutes and it prompted to format the drive. Everything seems to work well. All features working well sofar!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My experience was much the same. After seeing the updates on this thread, checked my s/w version, it was 165, then attached my 750GB Lacie. Got the prompt to call Bell, and 26 minutes later, my drive was formatted, guide downloaded, and all is well. The gal I spoke to originally stated I needed v182 of the software...I advised she must be mistaken, and after a while, returned, telling me it would take 15 mins to 2 hrs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I see in Post 2 that you may be able to move the hard drive between two 6141's on the same account.
Would you also be able to move the hard drive back and forth between a 6141 and a 9242 ?
On the same account of course

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sorry Hugh for the previous post..

Plug'd in new Comstar 500gb drive, poped up with the Call to have it activated. I just left it and did the syncro from bells web site and let it sit for about 5 more minutes and it prompted to format the drive. Everything seems to work well. All features working well sofar!
I have purchased the same HD. I hooked it up and called Bell. It is working however I was recording the hockey game tonite and after about 35minutes all of the video went green and very pixilated. I stopped the recording and went to another HD channel but it was green as well. I rebooted the harddrive and reciever and all is working now. I will try again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I synchronised my programming from Bell.ca yesterday, bought a Lacie 750GB today, plugged it in, turned it on and followed the prompts; ten minutes later I was up and running. I set a few timers for tonight so I can see if there are any issues. I paused, forwarded and rewound live T.V. to entertain myself with no issues at all.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have purchased the same HD. I hooked it up and called Bell. It is working however I was recording the hockey game tonite and after about 35minutes all of the video went green and very pixilated. I stopped the recording and went to another HD channel but it was green as well. I rebooted the harddrive and reciever and all is working now. I will try again.
Update:
Since I last posted I've been recording and so far so good. It's been about an hour.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I see in Post 2 that you may be able to move the hard drive between two 6141's on the same account.
Would you also be able to move the hard drive back and forth between a 6141 and a 9242 ?
On the same account of course
I know I said I would not reply but I guess I lied :rolleyes: This one should have been on my info list

No, since the formats are unique to the model functions the EHD (external hard drive) features are completely different between the 6141 and 9242. Unfortunately it is not interchangeable between different models.

Caution! If you attempt to move 6141 formated EHD to a 9242, it will want to re-format and all existing data will be lost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since the EHD does not shut down when the 6141 is shut down wouldn't this be hard on the EHD to be on all the time? Is there anyway the two can be shut off together?

·
Registered
38 Posts
^^ i was thinking the same thing too, or might have to shut down the EHD manually which shouldn't be an issue. I still haven't purchased my EHD but can we watch the TV without switching on the EHD and swithc it on only if i want to record something ?

Angelfish thank you for you PM, being trying to reply you but your inbox is full.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Don't forget the hard disk in the 9200/9242 runs all the time as well. Hard disks are designed to do that. In fact, you could argue that starting and stopping them constantly is harder on the disk than leaving it running, particularly on the 6141 where the disk will need to be more available than the Archive EHD on the 92xx series.

-Mike

1 - 20 of 214 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.