Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

V: 2009 version

27K views 168 replies 63 participants last post by  asif9t9 
#1 ·
In a new twist, the Nothing but Trailers on HDNET has started to show trailers for upcoming TV shows.

I caught the trailer for V last night. Some of our older members will remember the original V from the 80's as a pretty good, sometimes campy alien invasion series.

I was quite impressed with look of the new series. Since we're now 2009 the CGI is about a million times better and it will be in HD.

It's not clear from the trailer how closely they will follow the original series storyline but the premise looks pretty close so I am hopeful for this one.

It will be airing on ABC.

#89 ·
Larry "They should know that they are lizards underneath the fake skin (don't these people watch any science fiction? "
Some people never learn, I guess. They must be related to the characters in movies who say, when tracking a mutilating, mutant monster, "I'll circle 'round back to head him off. " Or, the guy who goes down to the cellar to check the fuse box when the lights go out knowing there's an escaped homicidal maniac in the area. Then there's the guy who goes to investigate what's making the strange noise upstairs of an old mansion who says to his terrified girlfriend:"Don't worry Honey, it's only the shutters banging against the house and I'll be back before you know it."
All these well-worn scenarios were in the Saturday movie matinees when I was growing up and we would yell out, "Don't go!", "Don't go!" but they went anyway.

#94 ·
Can anyone tell me why V is not on CTV now? I had it set up as a series recording in my DVR for CTVHD were the first 4 eps were on so I left it as is. Tonight I go to watch the DVR'd V from CTVHD and nothing. I do a search and it isn't even scheduled at all on CTVHD. This ticks me off. Anyway I reset my recording to record V from ABCHD from now on. Just like to know why CTV all of a sudden decided not to show it.

#96 ·
Spoiler Alert for PVR users who haven't seen it yet.

That was one of the best episodes last night IMO! Anna ,Queen of the Vee's, acts more like certain female insects (Preying Mantis, Black Widow Spider etc.) who eat their mates after breeding. Any guy who dates her is in for a very big shock!

#104 ·
Mike "The story is moving way too fast for the size of the plot. How they found, and recruited, that guy to lead their resistance movement was just ridiculous."

Yet, they are holding back on showing us the Visitors in their true form. Vancouver is world class in technical effects and did all the CGI stuff in "District 9" although the movie was shot in South Africa. So it's kind of annoying that they only show us little snippets of what is under the Visitors' human disguise e.g. a reptilian eyeball, a small piece of lizard skin showing through an open body wound etc.
That was a nice touch at end of the last episode featuring Anna's mating ritual. They should include more "shockers" like this if they want to retain the audience's interest, imo!

#105 ·
That didn't make any sense at all. Why did V set up that mercenary? Because he was going to lead an army against them?....UM...NO. You only put him on the FBI's radar cause you set him up. If V didn't bother no one would have gone looking for him in the first place.

And boy, for an international fugitive, he wasn't exactly hard to track down.

#106 ·
It will be interesting to see what Ryan's and Valerie's hybrid baby looks like when it is born. The ultrasound pictures of the baby didn't freak him out when the female V doctor showed them to Ryan. I guess to him, the lizard features would be normal but Valerie's reaction should be very traumatic when she realizes she's given birth to a monster (by our standards)!
In the early '80s "V" series, Elizabeth(?) gives birth to a very phony looking lizard-human hybrid. With all the new CGI technology that's now available, the baby hybrid should look more believable.

#109 ·
This is turning into one of those shows where turning off the analytical parts of one's brain leads to a much better viewing experience. The 'V'/Anna don't seem all the smart as far as cooking up whatever plot they're hatching up. Why put already dead humans on the shuttle they knew the Fifth Column would shoot down - when they could've easily transported real humans?

And seriously, how many times do we need to see a shot of Anna's "I'm so smart!" evil-grin when her face is turned away from cameras? Everything she's doing is so obvious! Where's the subtlety? Considering how cynical and distrusting most people these days are to our fellow humans, they're sure lapping up Anna's dog and pony show without much reservation.

On the human side, this has got to be one of the lamest depiction of the FBI and the criminal investigation process in general on TV. Where's the forensic investigation? following up leads? Checking alibis? None of this would get past the first 5 minutes of a Law & Order episode. Even if you were to assume Erica's supervisor is a V (or at least working for them in some capacity), what's everyone else doing? Playing farmville 24/7 at their desks?

The one consolation is that just about everyone in that show is equally stupid, so in that sense, I guess all the stupidity cancels each other out.

#111 ·
Well, the 1983 version was made with the technology they had back then. It was more like, there's an alien invasion with lazer guns just like in the Star Wars movie. They used a vocoder, had a nice reptile tongue, eating alive rats and mice (that was cool) and wanted to take our ressources and go away. The first episodes were based on the mystery from the ground... who are they, how do they look like, should we wait or destroy their ships right now? Turns out they were studying humans.

In the 2009 version, they decided to come right out and use technology to introduce themselves. From there, they just exploit human nature in many angles and use medias to spread their messages, gain trust to humans by giving them what they want: medical, technology, help for disasters... but also using evil tricks to gain favorism, then backstab.

Eventho the episodes are elaborated, I have a problem with the pace of the show, sometimes too slow, sometimes too fast. If you're expecting action from the beginning to the end, you're better off renting an action movie instead.

'V' is the kind of show you're better off recording on a PVR and watch it in a batch a few weeks later, from my experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.