Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 169 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Vees as in Visitors minus the isitors. :eek:

You know you have been watching too many programs when you hear a line that was used in another series of a totally different genre: When in the first episode, someone shouts "I love V" which was said in the HBO series TrueBlood referring to the addictive drug V taken from Vampires blood and consumed by humans.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Stutter on CFTO?

I recorded last night's episode via OTA on a Bell 9242 receiver. I found throughout playback the audio and video to stutter every 4 or 5 minutes or so. Occasionally I would estimate up to 2 to 5 seconds would be missing.

The Bell 9242 is known for having jittery playback, but my experience is that it is for a fraction of a second and the playback is occasionally frozen-framed when it happens. It usually occurs when other shows are concurrently recording, which was not the case for me last night. It also happens on the 9242 when using rewind and pause excessively. None of the above scenarios represented our viewing last night (other than to skip past commercials). It was like the video instantaneously skipped forward.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this last night, either live or recorded?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Danster: "You know you have been watching too many programs when you hear a line that was used in another series of a totally different genre."

Many years ago, TV Guide published an article entitled, "Does the Dialogue Seem Familar?" (or something very close to this) Anyway, they showed excerpts from the scripts of the most popular TV shows at the time including: Dramas, Cop Shows, and Westerns. In each example, the lines were identical except for the characters' names and the location of the story. Apparently, the same team of writers wrote most of the scripts for the various shows. I don't know if this was acceptable to the producers but it seems to me they were being paid for work that they had already been well compensated for and was not original content.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I keep wondering; when are we going to see some lizards? I wouldn't be surprised that next week's episode will have one of the Visitors show their real self and that will be the hook to get people to keep watching "V" after the hiatus.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I keep wondering; when are we going to see some lizards? I wouldn't be surprised that next week's episode will have one of the Visitors show their real self and that will be the hook to get people to keep watching "V" after the hiatus.
mmm can't wait for some lizards I hope the blonde chick (lisa) will be pregnant
(reminds you someting guys ?)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
gretzky:
"I hope the blonde chick (lisa) will be pregnant
(reminds you someting guys ?)"
Can you give me a clue? I've been racking my brain and I can't come up with an answer. All I can think of is: In the 1983 version, an attractive young female Visitor got pregnant and I believe the father was a human. I recall that she had a discolouration around her neck which indicated she was pregnant. In reality, a reptile (the Visitor) and a mammal (human) could not reproduce. Even closely related species cannot produce hybrids such as: frogs X toads, rabbits X hares, alligators X crocodiles etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
The only thing I can come up with is the movie "Species".

·
Registered
764 Posts
Can you give me a clue? I've been racking my brain and I can't come up with an answer. All I can think of is: In the 1983 version, an attractive young female Visitor got pregnant and I believe the father was a human. I recall that she had a discolouration around her neck which indicated she was pregnant. In reality, a reptile (the Visitor) and a mammal (human) could not reproduce. Even closely related species cannot produce hybrids such as: frogs X toads, rabbits X hares, alligators X crocodiles etc.
this is the idea but in fact i was opposite
it was a human female got pregnant got twins from a visitor one girl ok but with a reptilian tongue
( aka the girl who saved the planet can't remember her name)
and one ugly green reptilian puppet and i think this idea has been picked up again but opposite i might be wrong but rememeber guys those are reptilians but they are aliens so everything is possible

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
gretzky:
"I hope the blonde chick (lisa) will be pregnant
(reminds you someting guys ?)"
Some species CAN though like wolves x coyotes. Species is a bad word to use as distinction can be difficult, however, due this very issue and others. Genetics is hard!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
polaris:
"Some species CAN thought like wolves and coyotes. Species is a bad word to use as distinction can be difficult, however, due this very issue and others."

Yes, of course they can because they are in the same family (Canis)! All members of the Big Cat family can interbreed e.g. tiger X lion = tigon and liger. There are other animal hybrids such as: jackass X mare = mule (stallion X female donkey produces a very weak hybrid called a hinny or jenny) coyote X domestic dog = coydogs etc. I read last year that they even crossed a South American llama with a camel. As long as the two animals are in the same family, it's possible for them to interbreed and produce offspring. However, the hybrids they produce are almost 100% sterile so every mule you see has a male donkey as its father and a female horse as its mother.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Gave it 3 episodes- I've just about seen enough. I'll give it one more and if it doesn't show signs of improvement, I'm done.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
jokeDR "Gave it 3 episodes- I've just about seen enough. I'll give it one more and if it doesn't show signs of improvement, I'm done."

I'm thinking the same thing. If I don't see some serious lizard action pretty soon, I'm probably going to bail, too!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Gave it 3 episodes- I've just about seen enough. I'll give it one more and if it doesn't show signs of improvement, I'm done.
You realize that it is only a 4-part miniseries and there may not be any more anyway, right? :)
If I don't see some serious lizard action pretty soon, I'm probably going to bail, too!
Oh, "Lizard action", for a minute there I thought you said something else :) :) I was going to suggest a different channel LOL

·
Registered
721 Posts
You realize that it is only a 4-part miniseries and there may not be any more anyway, right? :)

Oh, "Lizard action", for a minute there I thought you said something else :) :) I was going to suggest a different channel LOL

No I wasn't aware of that. I was under the impression that if ratings were acceptable, the network intended to give it a full order. Thanks for informing me. And LOL! good one.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
I love sci fi shows but you guys have to be fair with this one. We all know how the 80's version was so it is unfair to try to make things happen quicker. I can't recall how long it took in the original series to see the lizards.

Personally, I think they do a much better remake to V than what had been done to Knight Rider or The Bionic Woman. Overall, I am pleased with the story line so far.

On a somewhat related note, Flashforward is loosing my attention. It is sci fi but they seem to get away from the original plot. I think V has more kudos than that series.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Spoiler Alert:
I was a little disappointed in last night's episode. When one of the Resistance members was ordered to skin another Fifth Column member I thought, "Finally, we are going to see what these creatures really look like under their human disguise!" Unfortunately, for me, it didn't happen.
I also thought that they could of thrown in a few "shock scenes" that would grab the audiences attention e.g. when Lisa and Logan were in a hug, I thought the camera might show her with her eyes closed as she rested her chin on his shoulder and when she opened her eyes, her pupils had changed from round to reptilian vertical slits. Another scenario could have the couple picnicking in a secluded spot and have dozens of ants eating from their discarded paper plates. Suddenly, Lisa grabs one of the plates and mops up the ants with her long lizard tongue to the shocked horror of Logan! etc. etc.
There's a couple of points that seemed illogical to me and maybe somebody can explain it? In last weeks episode, the Resistance leader while helping Ryan, the injured V, gave him an injection that instantly sends him unconscious and I then assumed that would be the end of him. In the next scene, he has recovered and the leader mumbles something about that he did it so he could check on him. Why did he have to knock him out to do this?
In last night's episode, Erica of the FBI, asks Ryan at least twice, how come he knows so much about the Vees. What made her so suspicious that he wasn't human? Anyway, I'll probably give it another shot when and if it returns in the spring.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I was a little disappointed in last night's episode.
Yeah, me too. In fact, the series has, so far, felt lacklustre to me. Interesting but not very compelling.

Spoiler alert: Like the armada at the end, example: I kept wanting more, like maybe a glimpse of the lizzards on the bridge or something! Something to reach out a grab me! Something BSG-like!

Oh well, it's interesting, but I keep waiting to be wowed. Perhaps this is my problem? :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Lizards on the bridge of one of their invasion ships would have been a great teaser to get people to tune in when and if it resumes in the spring. I felt they had so many options and possibilities to make this show really exciting but sadly they dropped the ball.IMHO

61 - 80 of 169 Posts