Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a new twist, the Nothing but Trailers on HDNET has started to show trailers for upcoming TV shows.

I caught the trailer for V last night. Some of our older members will remember the original V from the 80's as a pretty good, sometimes campy alien invasion series.

I was quite impressed with look of the new series. Since we're now 2009 the CGI is about a million times better and it will be in HD.

It's not clear from the trailer how closely they will follow the original series storyline but the premise looks pretty close so I am hopeful for this one.

It will be airing on ABC.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Can't wait to see it, I was also a huge V fan so hopefully they don't ruin it like most other remakes of tv shows

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Good, I was hoping Space wasn't going to pick it up. We miss out on a lot of scifi shows in HD because of that bloody fuzzy channel.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This time them lizards will get what's comin to them....

Seriously, I sort of fondly remember the old series. The shock when the first lizard's 'skin' got ripped off. Diana eating rodents on the mother ship. And best of all, at the very end, the StarChild driving the Mothership.

Space replayed V Classic a few years ago. I got a few chuckles, but couldnt' watch it for long, it had really aged badly.

Hope this new attempt is decent. Too much sci fi being cranked out today is either just plain bad (recent example NBC's Meteor mini-series that just mercifully concluded ) or too formulaic (driven through the Vancouver template a bit too rigidly - amazing how many extra-terrestial civilizations live on planets that are identical to the UBC Endowment Lands).

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Hope this new attempt is decent. Too much sci fi being cranked out today is either just plain bad (recent example NBC's Meteor mini-series that just mercifully concluded ) or too formulaic (driven through the Vancouver template a bit too rigidly - amazing how many extra-terrestial civilizations live on planets that are identical to the UBC Endowment Lands).
I don't know ... there's been some good stuff lately. BSG was excellent. Caprica looks promising. I like Warehouse 13. I thought V was amazing for its time so I'm really looking forward to this.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Importance of Ratings

If it's going to be on ABC the biggest problem it's going to have to face is getting good ratings. To remain on the air a series has to garner a good rating from the start. There's no time for growth in most cases. A lot of sci-fi on the other hand grows slowly by word of mouth as fans spread the word. Take the Star Trek franchise for example. The Original Series in fact only became a real phenonenon after it went into local syndication. The Next Generation grew into a success because it had time to develop its style without network pressures. Same for DS9. Voyager and Enterprise on the other hand were handcuffed from day 1 by being on the then fledgling Paramount network. All Paramount cared about were ratings.

The list of good sci-fi premises that have failed on US network TV is quite long and quite sad. Many were cut off before they had a chance to really get going. Hopefully V will be successful but I wouldn't count on it.

IOW: If you want it to stay on the air turn off your PVRS for once and watch it when it is broadcast.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Well in any case make sure you and your friends all watch that first episode. Some shows never get beyond one or two weeks.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Oh man, I am so looking forward to this! I remember the original mini-series scared me as a little kid! The shot of Diana eating that mouse scared the crap out of lil supervij!

And I too collected all the books AND all the comic books. :)

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
721 Posts
when is it on? I loved 'V' and 'V, the final battle'. My favs were Michael Ironside as 'Ham' and the hot women! The short lived weekly series was not good.

Hopefully they do a good job of this. I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Like many other posters, I too watched the originals and found them good for their time. Thinking about them, I doubt they would fair well as reruns but a complete remake similar to BSG could be fantastic.

After looking at the cast (imdb) and the trailers (youtube) this looks really good and I'm starting to get excited.

Conflicting info re air date, but it looks like it may not be until 2010.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It looks like there might be a long break between some of the episodes if Entertainment Weekly is correct.

"An ABC spokeswoman confirmed exclusively to EW that V, the network’s much anticipated reboot of the old NBC miniseries, will air for a limited, four-episode run in November and then return to the schedule after the Olympics in March." ....from Entertainment Weekly

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Just another reason I prefer to PVR/download an entire series and watch it (if it survives). I make a few exceptions, but "extended breaks" really annoy me.

This show looks fantastic so far though. I hope this is not a case of the trailer containing 98% of all the good stuff :)

1 - 20 of 169 Posts