Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to reduce my monthly cell bill. Some of the cheaper plans seem cheap until you realize that they want $6-8 a month for voicemail.

Thought about getting another 99 cent DID and giving out that number and forwarding it to the cell.

Anyone doing this? Any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have the (free) 3CXPhone app (installed on my Nexus One) setup with my voip.ms credentials for the occasional outbound call, which I do over wi-fi. These calls are accommodated via a sub-account.

Assuming you have the hardware/software, the option to route incoming calls over VoIP will depend on either i) your carrier allowing SIP/VoIP calls over 3G or ii) your proximity to a wi-fi connection.

The former is a prerequisite for taking calls while mobile. In the latter case, having wi-fi constantly enabled in the phone drains the battery and would be best reserved for environments where the phone is cradled (charger).

Direct inbound calls (i.e. those not rerouted from your voip.ms account) would require a dedicated DID. If your carrier allows VoIP over 3G, you're good to go, as long as you have the data plan to support your calling habits.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn\t even really thinking about wifi or voip per se, but just the fact that adding a .99 did to my voip.ms account that has my cell phone in a ring group would be far cheaper than paying $6-8 a month for voicemail to a cell provider.

Give that # out to people instead of my cell #.

Too bad you can't send an SMS when you have a voicemail on voip.ms...I know that you can send an email but that comes with the voicemail attached.

Just thinking out loud here. Wondering if there are any pitfalls to my thoughts.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You can turn off the voicemail attachment; does that help?

Since your provider charges $8/month for voicemail, I'm guessing Call Forwarding isn't going to be cheap either, but another way of doing what you want is setting Call Forward No Answer to a VoIP.ms number. Of course, if that too costs $8/month then it's a moo point.

m.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What type of cell phone do you have?

Sipdroid on an Android phone or SIP client on some Nokia series phones works very well. Of course you need a data plan with 3G or wireless network to connect to etc.

Both work very well, however.

Michael
CampusCom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts