Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First off I would like to say thank you for letting me sign up and this place looks like it has a lot of knoweledge as I have been poking around and just WOW with the amount of information this forum has.

In any event, I want to see if someone experinced the same issue as I couldn't find any thread that lead to my issue.

Make a long story short.

VOIP Provider --> 3 web CIA
Alarm Company --> Reliance Protectron
Location --> Ottawa

I switched over from a land line to a VOIP service and my alarm pannel does not send the signal anymore to the alarm company apon ringing. I have contacted the alarm company and they advise me if I am using a VOIP box that it will not work and that I will need to either go back to a landline (which i will never do, as the cost is just sad) or get our GSM module.

A quick over cap on what I am paying for the alarm service.
Term Contract --> 39 months (Started September 2010)
Month cost --> $32CAD Tax in

The extra charge for GSM Module from Reliance Protectron
GSM module --> $299
Extra fee a month for using the GSM --> $9.99 each month

I can’t stand paying $32 a month and now at least $40+ a month.

Is there any way to get my VOIP Linksys SPA2102 to work with me Alarm?

I came across another site and I got in contact with the owner and he stated that his GSM module selling for $149.99 will work with any alarm panel and that all I need is to get a SIM card and I dont need to reprogram my alarm panel as its a plug and play.

I like the idea of the GSM but here in Ottawa, all you can get is a TOP off prepaid sim card that you need to top it off every month regardless if you use it or not. The cheapest top off is $9.99 which at that point I mind as well go with the alarm provider GSM.

IPalarms also provides a service for $5 a month where they configure my voip to when my alarm rings it send the signal via internet to the ipalarms servers which then they have something that dials the alarm company. Its IPtoPOST

Ideally I would like my VOIP to send the signal to my alarm company without needing to pay extra. Has anyone figured this out?

I have been looking on the net for hours and hours.

Thanks for reading this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I really do not have the answer to your question however I know that if your voip service is wired into the existing telephone jacks in your house it should be possible to use that service to send an alarm. (Kind of like how it would normally work)
On the other hand if you just plug your phone into the back of a voip modem without using any existing wiring then I would guess you system would not transmit the alarm.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As hdtvi mentioned, how is your phone system wired to the VOIP box?

I use a PAP2 with Voip-ms. The PAP2 is plugged into a phone jack that connects to the main "patch panel" (I think that's what you would call it). All of the phone jacks in the house connect to this panel, along with the alarm jack. Works fine.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply guys.

Here is my current setup.

And the alarm does not work. However I did try connecting the alarm straight to the VOIP and then the other rj11 cable coming out of the alarm connect it to my Phone patch panel but I can never get a dial tone my phone.

When thing I did notice is that when I connected the alarm straight into my phone panel and when I called the alarm company to have my account on testing mode and when we were doing some test I noticed that when my alarm when off my phone was in use and if i pick up it i hear it dialing.

I informed this to the tech and she was shocked it was dialing but they didnt get the signal.

They informed me that they can send a tech to TRY to get it to work but it will be $89.99. $89.99 to see if it might work, yea no thank you.

My question is, do I need to do anything with my VOIP or my alarm panel to get it to work with my alarm.

Again thank you for all your help guys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does the RJ11 line run directly from the alarm panel to the patch panel for the phone? There should be what looks like a telephone jack box in between. It's called RJ31X jack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi.

Yes it does run directly to the rj31x from the alarm panel. So lastnight I programed line 2 of voip with voip.ms and i was just amazed how simple it was and how fast my line was active.

So as if now my setup is line 1 from voip (3 web CIA voip provide) that is connected to all my phones. Line 2 (voip.ms provider) that is
Connected to my alarm panel and then back out to a standalone phone to test if the line is working.

So far I can make calls out with line 2 and receive calls. I will be contacting the alarm company today to conduct a signal test.

Will report back. It could be 3 web CIA might be the issue and Voip.ms might just work.

In any event i am glad that I joined the voip.ms family.

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RESOLVED***

After programming my line 2 of my ATA with voip.ms yesterday; today I wired up alarm panel to the exact way it should be and had the alarm monitoring on the other line and they received my test without any problems what so ever. They also received the last 2 weeks of backlogs 
The issue all along was with my original voip provider (3 web cia). I still have them on LINE 1 for my main phone but have my fax and my alarm wired up to line 2 with voip.ms

I hope this thread helps other people

Thank You for all the help guys

Regards
Playtoy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it works fine with a roger voip modem. It was either keep my roger phone and pay $30 for the basic or find another voip company that works which i did and only pay $0.99 a month for my phone service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alarm system and VOIP

My setup works by using a Linksys adapter. 3rd month, no issues whatsoever.

UNLOCKED PAP2T-NA SIP VOIP Phone Adapter 2 Port D0252D

It has 2 ports, each with its own number.

My phone system is plugged into one port, the alarm system into the second.

The linksys adapter generates a dial tone allowing the alarm to dial out for its periodic time-test, and to signal an alarm to the monitoring station.

You will need to do a bit of programming of telephone numbers, but your VOIP supplier and alarm service should be able to supply what you need.

Check out e-bay item number:

or search VOIP Adapter.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Why not just have the alarm share the main line? It does so with regular POTS phone service. I think the periodic test might be aborted if a phone is picked up (in a non-alarm condition).

Why is there programming needed if the alarm panel has the monitoring station number programmed into it? Unless some other form of dialling is required? Like adding a 1 or something.

I'm also curious, if a service like voip.ms were chosen on flat rate billing, would it get expensive because of frequent periodic time-test, or when it is sending signals for arming/disarming/alarm conditions?

·
Registered
405 Posts
If your second line is only for the alarm system and will only make outgoing calls, you don't even need a DID for it. Save a buck a month.

As for using the main line, since the PAP2T has 2 lines anyway, there's no reason not use the second line, so why not and avoid any possible conflict.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I only know the basics about alarms, but with my experience working on phone lines that have monitored alarms, I'm pretty sure that in some scenarios, the monitoring station's system calls the house to check (or re-establish maybe?) communications with the panel. So inbound calls still may be necessary. ??

I think I've even witnessed this on the job. Maybe someone can confirm. Thanks

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The only time an inbound call is necessary if if the dealer wants to change programming. This is pretty rare, and is usually only done for the convenience of the dealer, not the customer. (I.e. a change of area code, of moving the communications to a different wholesale monitoring facility)

·
Registered
877 Posts
I realize the OP probably solved his/her problem by now, but since this thread was posted to recently, here is how you can mitigate problems when using alarm systems and VoIP:

1) Disable echo cancellation.
2) Set DTMF Tx Method to Inband.
3) Set Network Jitter Level to Extremely High.
4) Set Jitter Buffer Adjustment to Disable.

Since 1), 3), and 4) may reduce voice audio quality, you may wish to dedicate one line of your ATA to your alarm system if you use these settings.

m.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts