Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best and most inexpensive way to make local and international calls using a rogers phone on a trip to europe. Is there a temporary option I can add with them or should I use calling cards with my phone because I know that the rate can be super high when you use the phone outside canada :eek:
thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
If your phone supports 1800 & 900 mhz frequencies it will work in Europe

You can call rogers and get them to activate international roaming, or if your phone is unlocked you can buy a prepaid SIM card in europe, which would likely be your cheapest option

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just returned from a trip to Europe (France, and Italy) My rogers phone worked fine - for voice calls, text messaging, and data. I called rogers and added a European roaming package. I chose the following options: 25 MB $100.00 data package
40 min $50 voice package
75 text $25 text package

So it added $175.00 to my bill - you can choose less (or no data) - and less voice time and text messages to bring the cost down if you want as well.

As far as the covereage - it was great. We were in Paris, then drove to Lyon (4 hours south) and drove to Nice (4 hours south of Lyon) - we then took the train to Venice, and then a train to Rome - never lost service once along the route.

Enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
You can also buy an unlocked cheap phone here in Canada (you my have an old phone that you could unlock) and then get a prepaid SIM when you get to Europe.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
So long as your concerned about outgoing calls only, you can get your phone unlocked and just buy a local SIM in the country you are visiting. This works for virtually any Rogers phone, and any modern Bell/Telus phone. (though not on any phone on from their outdated CDMA network).

Just be aware that you will be out-of-luck for incoming calls or blackberry BES service if applicable.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
^^^^
You can configure your account to forward calls to your temporary number, so you don't miss incoming calls. I have forwarded unanswered cell calls to my home phone for years. Of course, you may have to pay long distance on those forwarded calls.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
So long as your concerned about outgoing calls only, you can get your phone unlocked and just buy a local SIM in the country you are visiting.
Why can't you get incoming calls? Your number will just be a European coyntry/area code.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
^^^^
I suspect his point wasn't that you couldn't get incoming calls, but rather people who'd likely call you wouldn't know the new number, unless you told them. However, you don't have to worry about that, if you configure your cell account to forward the calls to the new number. At least with Rogers, you can even do that over the internet. The down side with that though, is you'd get stuck with the long distance costs, rather than the person making the call.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
JamesK, right on both your points. Didn't know you could cfwd online, though. Is that through the regular myrogers portal (when it works)?

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
^^^^
You have to have the On-Line Manager enabled.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
^^^^
It's one of the features you can pay for. I don't. I program forwarding with my phone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts