Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an old Star Choice dish, one of the old big 33"x30" oval monsters.
Will I be able to use this for Ku FTA? Is it big enough or will the 30" affect the reception? Most of what I've read recommends a 33" dish, I assume they mean a 33" round dish.
So I'm wondering if the oval aspect of the dish will cause a problem?

Also anyone see a problem hooking this up to a motor (one that can take the weight of course)?

TLDR: will a 33"x30" Oval Star Choice dish work for Ku FTA?

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Is it really oval or just egg shaped? If it is egg shaped, then that's what I have on one of my setups. The dish is taller than wide. I have had a motor on it before with no problems. Now I use a 1 meter dish and the only major difference I can se is that the weaker sats get in stronger on 1 meter than 30 inch.

Other than that, it is a good choice (pun intended) to use this dish.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it is egg shaped. I picked it up looked at it and though it was strange that it was taller than it was wider. On the drive back to work I figured I was crazy as my other SC dish was wider than taller so I must have been mistaken.
Looks like I might not be "THAT" crazy :)

So what sats couldn't you get on the large egg SC dish? With my luck it'll be AMC9 (RTV) and SES 1 (Bio and Hist).

·
Registered
398 Posts
The older dishes are usually fine for Ku, the fact that it is egg shaped shouldn't make a difference as my 90cm Ku dish also has a similar shape. Where abouts do you live? the dish you have is a little small but if you're in the south then you shouldn't have much trouble.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm located in South Eastern Ontario right on the border. All the footprint maps on lyngsat shows good coverage in my area which why I'm hoping this dish might work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts