Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Pioneer VSX-820-K. I can achieve Dolby IIz if I setup an additional 2 speakers using the available pre-outs on this receiver. I've never used pre-outs before in my home theatre setup, so I'm looking for some direction.

1. Is it possible to use my old Onkyo receiver as the amp for the Pre-out front height speakers?

2. How would I do that?

3. Will the volume for the Pioneer control the volume for the front height speakers that are hooked up through the Onkyo?

4. If this is possible, do I need to set the Onkyo volume at some kind of base level?

One final question... Would a 150watt subwoofer be sufficient for the system. I am in a 17' x 20' room. The new Pioneer receiver delivers 115watts x 5 channels, so I'm not sure what a good compatible subwoofer would be. Any recommendations would be helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a Surround Back/Front Height Pre-out in addition to the Subwoofer Pre-Out. The manual explains this can be used to add the front height speakers for a 7.1 environment but it requires connecting through an additional amplifier.

I'm wondering if I need to buy a separate amplifier for this purpose, or if I can use my old Onkyo to serve as the additional amplifier?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.