Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the Pioneer VSX-820-K. I can achieve Dolby IIz if I setup an additional 2 speakers using the available pre-outs on this receiver. I've never used pre-outs before in my home theatre setup, so I'm looking for some direction.

1. Is it possible to use my old Onkyo receiver as the amp for the Pre-out front height speakers?

2. How would I do that?

3. Will the volume for the Pioneer control the volume for the front height speakers that are hooked up through the Onkyo?

4. If this is possible, do I need to set the Onkyo volume at some kind of base level?

One final question... Would a 150watt subwoofer be sufficient for the system. I am in a 17' x 20' room. The new Pioneer receiver delivers 115watts x 5 channels, so I'm not sure what a good compatible subwoofer would be. Any recommendations would be helpful.

·
Registered
233 Posts
A quick look at the back of your Pioneer, I don't see a way of using another amp with it. Besides, I don't think you'll gain much by using another amp for the height channels. I'd say just use all the channels in the Pioneer and enjoy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a Surround Back/Front Height Pre-out in addition to the Subwoofer Pre-Out. The manual explains this can be used to add the front height speakers for a 7.1 environment but it requires connecting through an additional amplifier.

I'm wondering if I need to buy a separate amplifier for this purpose, or if I can use my old Onkyo to serve as the additional amplifier?

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
It looks like you should be able to:
- connect the Pioneer's Surround Back/Front Height Pre-out to an input on your Onkyo;
- connect the front height speakers to the "Speaker A" terminals on the Onkyo;
- set the Onkyo volume to a fixed position (and, if it's a knob, tape it down); and
- use the menu option indicated on pg. 47 of the Pioneer's manual to adjust the level of the front height speakers manually (or run MCACC to calibrate your entire system, including the front height speakers).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts