Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past few year I've been using an EHD as an HD PVR hooked up to my HD 6131 terminal however things have changed now and I no longer need the PVR part and would like to disconnect it form my 6131 and use it as a simple EHD with my computer. Unfortunately, there is a problem because it does not identify the EHD with the computer.

Is this because I have used it on my Bell Terminal and cannot be sued anymore and i have to buy another one for computer? I don't understand this. I don't want to even watch my recordings on the computer all I want to do is save data to it and that's it!!!

Anyone got some advice or help that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I thought you just had to re-format.?

Maybe if you run a Linux Distro from a CD, you can format the Drive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The EHD is formatted as a Linux drive that can't be read by Windows.

Here is another set of instructions:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html

Start at: Formatting a Secondary Hard Drive

The Disk Manager looks like this. I've circled my EHD. You see there are no drive letters associated with it.
Be careful, do not format any drives that have a drive letter.

If you need more help let us know what version of Windows you are using. XP, Vista, 7...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Angus.black is correct. The Linux partitions created by the PVR need to be deleted in Windows Disk Manager. Then a new Windows partition needs to be created and formatted. A right mouse click on the drive/partitions will bring up a menu to perform the operations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts