Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have an old 9242 lying around. Would like to put it to use for local HD stations. I have read previously that the 9242 needs to be connected to both the 92 and 81 sats in order to make the local HD part of it work. Is this still true? And if so, is there a work around?

I ask because the toom where I would like to set up the box currently has no feeds there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Assuming it still works with satellite, you might be better off selling the 9242 and buying an OTA tuner or DVR.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 9242 does work, it was still in service until about a year ago at my inlaws until they went with Fibe.Yes I thought about the separate OTA tuners. Just thought maybe I can get use out of what I have.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
In addition to the satellite signal dependency, the 9242 probably won't work that well for OTA, it will have no guide information and it's a power hog. Never mind that Bell never officially supported OTA on the 9242 so it might not even work. Bell satellite receivers usually fetch a good price on sites like Kijiji. I see only one for sale at $375. That's probably a bit high but it should sell quickly for a lower price. There is a thread on buying and selling Bell equipment.

The tuners in newer OTA tuners are more sensitive than the 9242 and usually have guide information, the accuracy of which varies by make and model. There is a lot of info on OTA tuners and DVRs, plus various other ways to receive OTA on this site.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Assuming that you can connect it to a Dish then yes you can get OTA and lots of free Preview Channels.However You may need to leave it plugged in for several weeks for the preview channels to kick in.Another good thing is that you will be able to record OTA Channels on the 9242.I suggest that you use a splitter for OTA so that the T.V OTA Tuner also gets OTA,so that way you can check what is playing at a given time on a given channel and then use the 9242 to record the event.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts