Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all

I have a Yamaha RX-V 1800 and I'm moving to Europe. Does it hurt the receiver at all to use a step down transformer to convert 220v to 110v?

I know my computer/laptop have universal power inputs but I'm just concerned about the receiver as they are picky with power

TIA

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Some AVRs are capable of running at 220V. Check the specs for yours first - you may simply need an adaptor.

Just checked the specs on page 137 of the OM and it appears that Yamaha don't supply 220V (option) models to Canada any more like they once did. Sorry.

You should likely contact Yamaha (Canada) and ask them this question.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for looking that up 57 I did check the specs as well and that is how I came to the conclusion that I needed a transformer whereas my desktop and laptop are fine

I'll call Yamaha if I have to but I usually get more reliable info from a forum than a CSR (either from lack of training, being overly cautious to be safe, or wanting to sell another model etc)

I'm wondering if transformers in general can do any harm to a receiver or speakers?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It will need to be a real transformer rated at the maximum power draw of the receiver or higher. Good quality units can be difficult to find. Ordering from a manufacturer (such as Trippe-Lite) or an electrical supplier are the best bets. Cheap power adapters and 'converters' will not work properly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hold on

A transformer MAY not be enough. It depends how the power supply in the receiver is designed.

Chances are it's an older style power supply (due to how much easier it is to clean up the supply), meaning a large transformer. The issue is that even if you step down the 240V to 120V, the frequency will also be different.

Your receiver is designed for 60Hz. Europe is 50Hz. The lower frequency means a higher chance of the core entering saturation, this is bad and can result in burnt out windings.

I wouldn't try until you get word that it's OK from your receiver's manu.

TTYL

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Yes. Forgot about the 50Hz issue. Generally speaking. 50Hz inductance devices can run on 60Hz but 60Hz devices cannot run on 50Hz. That's due to the larger magnetic core required at lower frequencies. Like repatch said, check with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys this is what I was afraid of. Bahh another thing to sell. I'll see what Yamaha says though

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another thing to sell? You should be excited, another thing to buy!:)
Well I sold the RX-V1800 on the cheap and paid full for the only dual voltage receiver I could find - which happened to be another Yamaha!

It's nearly the exact same except it has a iPod dock I never use, a network connection I'll never use and a handy-dandy voltage selector on the back. I do like the on screen setup though

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Apart from the power supply does the receiver works with European signal standards like PAL or does that matter in your case?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure I've never paid for cable TV in my life. I did buy a PS3 game at the local store and although it does have German labels and document it plays normal in English. I'm not sure if Blurays are regional like DVDs but I'll buy them from Amazon anyways

Interesting tidbit - PS3 says it's 120V on the sticker but if you open it up I found an auto dual voltage PSU inside - thank you Sony! My old TV may have been the same way. The Yamaha receiver was the biggest loss of my move

1 - 12 of 12 Posts