Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the equipment, and am looking for a plan that would allow me to use 4G/5G GSM as a backup source of Internet for my LAN should my wired connection to my router go down.

So far, I've found nothing but regular plans, which of course in Canada all cost roughly the same.

I came across this:
Mobile internet plans and devices | TELUS Small Business

What's the catch? Do I need to be a business with a whole lot of plans? Is there some catch?

The thing is, I won't need the airtime until I need it (during an wireline outage).

If this isn't a feasible solution for a single household with bandwdith needs of at most a few GB a day during outages, is there anything that is, or is at least low cost until you need the bandwidth?

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
It's easy and cheap to create a small business. Just apply and pay the fee. It's often not needed though. The downside is that business services usually cost more than consumer plans.

My suggestion is to purchase a low cost prepaid plan that has add-on data available. Some cost as little as $15/mo and add-ons such as data that never expires. That has the benefits of low cost, no surprise charges for data overages (on some plans) and the ability to purchase data only when required. With the right equipment, it may be possible to make use of an unlimited voice plan for home phone and be able to use the data only when wired internet is not available.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hmm...yeah, that's what I was thinking of originally. Can you suggest a plan in which the data don't expire? I'd prefer to avoid Rogers or anything related to them. I'm sure you can guess why, since this is my backup network.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Koodo prepaid is $15/m. Data addon is $10 for 100MB data and unused rolls over if monthly is renewed, but this can be used up very quickly.
Faced with this situation, where my home internet and cellular plan were with the same provider, I switched my cellular to a provider that used a different network. The only downside was a slight loss of bundled discounts.
Be careful, many/most of the low priced prepaid plans only use the 3G network and you cannot use them when traveling to the US.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Koodo prepaid is $15/m. Data addon is $10 for 100MB data and unused rolls over if monthly is renewed, but this can be used up very quickly.
The also have 1GB for $30. That's a better price but still expensive.

Another option might be to get a data plan for a personal phone that allows using the phone as a hotspot. In any case, using a data plan is going to be expensive and, usually, slower. It's best used only for essential services with data intensive tasks avoided.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone tried to sneak under the radar with one of thoese companies that provides 4G Sims/service for IoT devices? The rates are so cheap it's ridiculous. I'm wondering what the catch is. Do you have to buy them in bulk or something?

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
They probably limit the data in some way to make it unusable for general use. One way might be to identify the IoT device and lock the SIM or service to that device. However, if one of them doesn't then it might be able to use it for data, at least until they catch on.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Typical real world speeds for 3G maxes out at 8Mbps. 4G maxes out at about 60Mbps. Some advanced versions of 3G and 4G may do better but we're talking about Canadian providers. I wouldn't expect to anything advanced outside of major urban centres such as the GTA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts