Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a projector off my Dvi output and a rear projection off my component output. I have to watch the same channels obviously, which isn't a problem, but as the 2 tv's are in different rooms the infra red remote is of no use to me.
Can I use another radio signal remote on the 9200? Not sure if tv1 can take it.
thx for any info

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Yes you can buy a second UHF remote, and use it
Obviously you will have to go into the system settings and change if from IR to UHF, and make sure the remote address is matched

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do need the dual mode because i am using that as well. probably dumb but I can not figure out how to change it from infra red to radio in the settings,
thx for the replies

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
What you are doing is a little beyond the design limits of the 9200. With the 9200 in dual mode, TV1 is infra red and TV2 is UHF. There is no way to change that. You can get an IR repeater to handle the second room. Another option may be to get a universal remote with a UHF->IR remote module. You could also put the 9200 in single mode and use the UHF remote for the second HDTV.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you and really wish that they would add UHF for TV1. That's probably the #1 complaint I have about the 9200. For now though, I switch it into dual mode if I want to watch the distant HDTV.

·
When the 5200 was launched the guy from Echostar giving the demonstration said that Dish were selling extra UHF Remotes for about 75% of all installations to allow for BOTH Tuners to be used via UHF....

I will have to dig out my notes....

Unless I fell asleep during the Demo and I was dreaming it all......

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
the 5200 does have a menu option to change TV1 to UHF pro. This menu does not exist in the 9200.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Great, I'm not crazy!
I was wrong, but could have sworn I had changed the tuner remote from a IR to UHF
Now that I have been corrected, I remember it was at a friends!
For the remote extender, I bought one that used a transmitter that fit in the remote and replaced a AA or AAA battery
I liked this style, as it didn't limit where the remote could be used like the pyramid style extenders

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any suggestions for what ir extender to use? Setup is to run a 9200 from a different room. I don't understand the setup for the extender, do I have to connect something to the 9200, and if so how does it attach? Thx for any info

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
For anyone interested, the model I use is on sale at the source for $29, down from $79
Just search remote extender
the maker is nexxtech

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Any suggestions for what ir extender to use? Setup is to run a 9200 from a different room. I don't understand the setup for the extender, do I have to connect something to the 9200, and if so how does it attach? Thx for any info
It would require a transmitter that would sit in front of the 9200. Anywhere were it can see the front of the 9200 via line of sight. That's all. Take a look at the Source web site or something for pictures.

But is it really not practical for you to just switch to single mode when you want to use other TV? That's what I do - switch into single mode and I use an extra 6100 remote as my 3rd remote for the 9200.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With my setup, If i have to switch to single mode every time to use that tv then the tv in the bedroom won't work, which my girlfriend watches. If she can't watch her shows upstairs shes gonna wanna watch oprah and crap with me downstairs. So if I want to watch my shows in peace I have to make it work.;)

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
That also doesn't work on the 9200. The #1 (green) remote is IR only. The #2 (blue) remote can be switched from the default UHF to IR by switching the tab around.
Yes, sorry, I had a brain cramp.

Once the blue tab is removed from remote 2 there is a white plastic sliding switch. If you move it one left of the far right position and enter a new address, remote 2 becomes remote 1 and shows as IR/UHF. I tried it on mine and couldn't get it to work outside the room though. There is an A Band and B Band switch on remote 2 also which may need to be switched over.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
apparently you can change a 6.2 or 6.3 remote UHF Pro remote to be used as TV1 UHF remote.

from another forum.

The following is extracted from the DBS Talk Vip622 PDF review:

• You can control TV1 of the ViP622 DVR with a UHF Pro remote using the same method that was used for the DISH Player-DVR 942. In fact a 6.2 remote from a DISH Player-DVR 942 will control the ViP622 DVR just fine.

o UHF Pro remotes use different keys to set the control mode. The ViP622 DVR UHF Pro remote ships with a Blue Key with a Blue 2 on it to control TV2. To control TV1 you will need a Green Key with a Black Number 1 and the on it or a "new style" Green Key with a Green Number 1 that sets the same switch position on the remote. The key should also have a small UHF Pro symbol on it. (The older style Green key from a 322 or 522 will not work.) These keys can be hard to locate, so if you can't find one you can simply remove the existing key from the remote and change the hidden switch with a toothpick. UHF control of TV2 is position 2 and UHF control of TV1 is position 3.

o If you wish to use both the IR remote that came with the ViP622 DVR and a UHF Pro remote to control TV1, make sure both are set to the same address. Once you have programmed and changed the key on the new UHF remote, turn the ViP622 DVR off and press the front panel "System Info" button. Press the "RECORD" button on the new UHF remote, and you should see the remote address for TV1 change from "IR" to "IR/UHF Pro Band B".

Hope this helps...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts