Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a usb tv tuner with SD? Does it work well with windows media ctr? Can you see the guide and set up recordings? Can you record in HD and playback in HD?

I dont have a pvr and am looking for a cheap alternative to record a few things here and there. The 2 I am looking at are:

monoprice item # 6151 (USB 2.0 ATSC TV (HDTV) Tuner)

newegg item # N82E16815260023 (KWORLD ATSC TV Stick UB435-Q USB 2.0 Interface)

The other plus is that these come with an antenna so if i travel i can always get tv on the go as well (if it works).

·
Registered
850 Posts
No. You need a SD receiver. You can output composite or Svideo from the receiver to your tuner card if it has the inputs. You cannot use the tuner of the PC card. You will not get HD quality recordings.

The guide you will see will be from Media Center. Works fine. You will need a IR blaster to change channels and be able to interact with the media center guide however.

Not a whole lot cheaper unless you already have a old PC hanging around.

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be connecting through one of my SD receivers. I have 4, 2 505s and 2 209s. I would either use a receiver that's not being used to record or record what i am watching. I would use the 505 and use the component output to my HDTV and the coax output to my tuner on my laptop. Will the coax send an HD signal to the tuner card? I assume not. The specs of the 2 USB tuners i listed above show that they can decode HD signals, but i assume thats only OTA signals from the antenna? Can Windows media ctr play HD signals?
The 2 tuners above also have a remote, but i would assume i could also just use the mouse to do anything i would want correct?

EDIT: Not sure how this wouldnt be cheaper. The tuners above are $30 or so. Thats the extent of the cost since i already have SD receviers and a laptop running win7.

·
Super Moderator
4,487 Posts
The coax sends a Standard def signal out on channel 3 or 4.

Only DVI out and Red/Green/Blue are in HD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts