Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a cheap USB drive, 16 GB or more for cheap in Canada. Any leads?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I always see cheap USB sticks in the front bins at my local Staples. Not sure if they have 16GB ones on clearance yet

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I would think any local computer store should have them. here in Calgary I can get 16gb Patriot extreme for just under $30(after rebate) at memory express

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
canadacomputers
ncix
memoryexpress

and i often see good deals on dell (free purolator shipping is a plus)

Avoid staples unless it's a super, super deal. Like the $10 16gb one last weekend. Chances are their "sale" price will still be more than regular price at computer shops, like those listed above.
FS & BB are the same, tend to be overpriced except on super sales.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone, I will check regularly...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just got an email from OFFICE DEPOT today. They have a 16 gig drive for $23. Regular price is $40. That is $17 off. The offer is also good on line as well as in store. The offer is good from today (Nov 29) to Dec. 3.
sailmaker

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Just a side thought here for you as I encounter this issue the other day. If you plan on using the drive for LARGE over 4gb then you need to format your usb drive to NTFS, not fat32 :)

If you are in windows you need to change a setting under computer management-system tools-device manager-disk drives-then choose your drive, go to properties, then policies and change to Optimize for performance. Now you can re-format in ntfs under windows explore.

I found this out after copying the drive almost full then had to move everything off it to reformat it so I could get the other files I wanted on there.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Be careful with the o'ptimize for performance' options if you aren't a 'safely remove' follower.
That's a write cache setting, so if you dont give it time to complete writes before you pull, you might have data corruption.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Infonec Computers have Patriot Signature Dash USB Flash Drive 60x - 16GB - Capless (PSF16GDUSB) for $19.99 - $10 mail-in rebate. Sale ends today. Don't know what they charge for shipping.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, but I am not interested whatsoever in mail in rebates. Just looking a good deal outright. But thanks for the tip :) Still looking around for a steal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all that posted. Ended up ordering one from Canadacomputers. Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts