Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I'm going to be sailing in BC for 6 weeks, and looking for a low-cost way to have occasional internet access from my laptop to check email, pay bills, and whatnot. We have a cheap pay-as-you-go cellphone from Virgin ($100/yr, with rollover; we're currently over $200 on account), and it looks like they have a stick option... $79 to buy the stick, and "$45/mon or $45/gb". Not sure whether the $45/gb is time limited.

I'm wondering if there are cheaper options. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help...
Perry.

· Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out here it's wilderness sailing... we stay away from marinas and towns and anchor out in secluded bays most of the time. In six weeks we might hit towns twice. There is pretty good cell coverage for much of the coast, though.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the provider web sites really hard to interpret. I don't deal with this stuff, I've never had a data plan and barely use my cell phone, and I'm looking for a minimalist option... which is not what they typically highlight on their sites.

· Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appears to be $45 per month or 1gb, whichever comes first. CDMA.

Looks like Rogers has a HSPA stick (I'm assuming that's the latest / greatest?) with plans from $10/100mb/30 days... but it costs $150. So $80+45/mo Virgin, or $150+10/mo Rogers. Haven't checked Telus yet.

As always, they do make it complicated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.