Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the STAB HH120 rotor on my 4 ft dish. The SG2100 just didn't handle the weight.
Anyway it turns much slower so I'm never sure if it has arrived or just dragging it's feet.

I have galaxy 18 (123W) almost due south so finding 0 degrees is no problem.

Finding the other satellites is a chore. I can't find them all. When I originally got that 3 ft Glorystar Geosat dish, I could find 72W. Not anymore. Then 87W disappeared, prompting me to change up to the 4Ft dish and the HH120. Woo hoo! USALS. With DisEqC1.2 as back up. The DisEqC turned out to be more reliable for me.With patience I was able to get a good strong signal down to 95W, with adjusting the angle on the arc, and rechecking Zero.
BUT the USALS is disappointing. Every time I try it, the dish just parks back at zero.

The Tuner is the GeoSat Pro HDVR 1200.

Is it the tuner, the motor, or just me.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Strange. Perhaps the positioning sensor in the motor is not working properly. My Stab 90 became erratic and the fix was to secure the positioning sensor. The screws holding it in place some how over time became loose.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Are you certain you are entering your latitude / longitude in to the receiver correctly?
Would think the default implementation would have West Longitude entered as a negative number,and north latitude as a Positive number.
But who knows what some of these chinese manufacturers implement.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I know what you mean about how slow the Stab HH120 is...I did the same as you and upgraded from an SG2100. I also zero my Stab to Galaxy 18 and have had good results with 3 different receivers using USALS. Gepsat Pro HDVR3500, Amiko HD265 and my current Edision OS Mio 4k.
You might have some programming in your 1200 telling the Stab to go home to zero. You're welcome to use one of my receivers for troubleshooting if that would help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'm quite happily back in business. GeoSatpro advised me to do a factory reset to clear the errors out.
Then!! I put in the correct longitude and latitude for Vancouver BC. The USALS is hitting the satellites almost bang on.

However, I don't even get a sniff at SES 2 at 87W. The USALS did get me both Galaxy 17 (91W) and Galaxy 28 (89W), both with strong transponder signals.

·
Registered
890 Posts
How about a sniff of the CNN transponders on 87W? They are much stronger and easier to tune in than SES2. They are on 24/7. You should be able to receive using USALS since 87W is only 44 degrees azimuth east of your due south and 24 degrees elevation.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Make sure you select a horizontal transponder when changing satellites (make one up and make up a channel if none), that way the HH120 gets the full 18v when turning making it faster. Also my HH120 is many years old, still works fine, but with the 120cm dish it wouldn't always move back to centre if far to the ends of movement due to dish weight. I'm using a 1m dish now and it works great. Gets 30W to 127W, some sats better than others, and I have to use diseqc to get down to 30w USALS won't go that far.

Also during a wind storm the motor casting broke when using the 1.2m reflector. Had to get it re-welded. If you are exposed to a lot of wind be aware.

Another thing, with the heavier dish the main bearing would come loose and cause play in the system. Check for any play in the axis, if there is "any" the dish won't track as it should.

A smaller mast/pole can flex with the weight too distorting the tracking. I am using a 4" sch 40 mast bolted to a concrete pad, keeps straight no matter where it's aimed.

Good luck!
-C.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Some of the new receivers switch to 18 volts when the dish is called to move. Its a nice feature. But I use the H transponder trick to speed up the dish as does CHAM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts