Interesting to read that breaking carrier locks is now legal in the US, just after Canada criminalised it.In addition to jailbreaking, other exemptions announced Monday would:
- allow owners of used cell phones to break access controls on their phones in order to switch wireless carriers.
- allow people to break technical protections on video games to investigate or correct security flaws.
- allow college professors, film students, documentary filmmakers and producers of noncommercial videos to break copy-protection measures on DVDs so they can embed clips for educational purposes, criticism or commentary.
- allow computer owners to bypass the need for external security devices called dongles if the dongle no longer works and cannot be replaced.
- allow blind people to break locks on electronic books so that they can use them with read-aloud software and similar aides.