Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update!

So its the end of Spring and I finally got around to make a GH. The build turned out ok, I wish I had better tools to work with though. I hand cut with a a hack saw the acrylic triangle supports so they are kinda crappy looking but they do their job. I built a GH without a reflector because I'm trying to hit Syracuse with is almost a 180 off of my local towers. The first pic is my GH next to my old trusty Stealth Hawk I put up in December. After sitting out in the rain and snow for about 8 months. I noticed the signal reception getting worse. When I checked out the antenna I noticed it was rusting. So I took it down 2 weeks ago cleaned it up and put how glue over the contacts to seal it from the weather.

The second picture is a close up of the antenna. The black spots are liquid electrical tape. I wanted to make sure that the contacts don't corrode/rust this time around. What are your thoughts on that? I will be putting up the GH tomorrow in a new spot attached to a steel rod. I'll post my reception results and installation pictures when I'm done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My last post must be stuck in moderator hell. hmm So I got the GH installed as high as I dare with the sat dish mast. I took a 10' 1"1/4 electrical conduit and cut it to 6 feet in length because 10 feet I think would have been to much with the weight of the antenna also. The first picture is a picture of the old installation point on the corner vs the new one.

The second picture is closer up.

The third is from the point of view from the antenna.

Now reception results.
Not amplified I received everything I did before. 7-1, 7-2, 16-1, 16-2, 16-3, 50-1, 50-2 are watchable. I also received some analog channels from Canada but they were not watchable. 6, 11, 35

I was a little bummed but when I hooked up the amplifier and re tuned I got 20 total channels plus a cable channel?
Now with the antenna orientated in the Syracuse direction I was able to pick up 4 towers giving me about 20 channels total. The problem is though I'm able to receive them the signal must not be great because every minute or so it shudders. Thats bad because today is a relatively calm day with barely any wind. So I decided to turn the antenna toward the Canadian towers channel 11, 35 & 38 because I could pic up two analog towers that had some kid programming. My boys are 4 and 8 so I thought that would be better. So since I can't reliably receive Syracuse station do I need to go higher? If I do I probably need to get a proper tower.

Here is what I think my installation would match up to be.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=2193d528b309b8

·
Registered
597 Posts
You may consider a reflector for the G-H that may give you enough gain to get the Syracuse stations and still get the locals 7-1, 7-2, 16-1, 16-2, 16-3, 50-1, 50-2 since they're coming in mostly off the side the reflector may not effect them much. You most likely will lose the stations to the north but those stations out of Syracuse are nice ION qubo plays a lot of kid shows and others have weather radar 24/7 and music video channels on the sub channels besides the usual network programming.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
The black spots are liquid electrical tape. I wanted to make sure that the contacts don't corrode/rust this time around. What are your thoughts on that?
Well, the GH only has 2 electrical contact points, those are where you connect the balun. The other 4 places are just support points, and corrosion there isnt a big deal. The simplest way to minimize corrosion is just to use metals that are close to each other on the galvanic scale.

Not amplified I received everything I did before. 7-1, 7-2, 16-1, 16-2, 16-3, 50-1, 50-2 are watchable. I also received some analog channels from Canada but they were not watchable. 6, 11, 35
You couldnt get channel 35 at 69 degrees ?
A) If you point the GH in any direction, can you still get 7-1, 7-2, 16-1, 16-2, 16-3, 50-1, 50-2 ?

I take it all the stations from Syracuse are negative NM, edge stations. Those are very difficult to get with any antenna.
If A above is yes, you could try a DBGH with a mesh reflector. Of course, youll need a sturdier mount.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts