Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved into this house a couple years ago, it was built in 07-08 and was wired with speakers all over the place going to a hub in the basement including a sirius receiver which still works. It doesn't really fit too well into the boom box or the mounts used for the newer receivers cuz the back sticks out more than the new ones, I have to pry the adapter for the new radios off for it to fit. It doesn't have a model name on it, pic below.

I understand at one time they offered a lifetime package so I assume that's what the original owner of the house bought. Is there any way I can upgrade the unit to a newer one since it's in someone else's name?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, I doubt you are going to be able to do anything. You said the account is in someone else name? Then technically the owner of the account would have to call and make the request to switch.
Then the question is will Sirius allow that considering its a lifetime package and they are not making money out of it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
@Fisherguy just give them a call with the radio ID. You will probably need to confirm the owner information, name, address, phone number, etc., so if you have this information, you would be good to go. Swapping radios on the lifetime plan was limited to something like 3 radios (lifetime) with a transfer fee of something like $75.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting...
I know the previous owner, have all his info except his old PO number, if I call him he might want it back! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Perhaps you could try and get the SiriusXM online app with the previous owners lifetime plan.If you know his name and stuff,the online app will ask for the radio serial no.I have the lifetime plan but had forgotten my username and etc.You need to choose ''forgot username and password'.They will send you the info. via your email.I had called in previously for the online app but they had refused to give it to me because they told me that it was not included in the lifetime Plan.Now that I have the app installed on my smart t.v and phone,I don't need the Radio anymore.When I walk into the Car,the Car radio plays the Sirius app directly from Bluetooth from the phone.Best thing ever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
…Now that I have the app installed on my smart t.v and phone,I don't need the Radio anymore.When I walk into the Car,the Car radio plays the Sirius app directly from Bluetooth from the phone.Best thing ever.
But this is Canada. Mobile data is really expensive. How much does streaming with the app use up per minute?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Thats what I was going to say. unless your rich, mobile data is really a luxury here and listening to sirius xm on a car radio thru the actual satellite stations does not use data and frees up your phone

i mean to each his own but if it was me i am not rich i can not afford to stream music thru my car all the time, i dont even have a fancy car radio with blue tooth, cant afford that either

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
I blew through a 10GB cap once by listening to internet radio. That was with a music service that had lower bit rates than most services use now. The penalties were higher than the monthly plan. When I called they tried to upsell to a plan that was twice as expensive. My response was to switch to another company with a better plan for the same price. To add insult to injury the original company started promoting the same music service to their customers. I wonder how many were gouged with high data use penalties. I wouldn't want to mention the company involved but it rhymes with hell, which reminds me of what being their customer felt like.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I was looking at a new car a couple weeks ago, and it doesn't have SiriusXM in it anymore. Compared to my older version of the same model, which does.

The biggest streaming services today have offline options where you can download playlists and play them in the car to save bandwidth, but a 10GB plan is a LOT of music at the bitrates these things tend to run at unless you set them to high quality.

It's particularly interesting with SXM, as their streaming stations sound better than the satellite versions due to that higher bitrate.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've never owned a car with a Satellite Radio receiver, while my wife has. I had it in a few rental cars and I must say, its quite enjoyable especially for people who travel a lot across Canada, myself included. Now that were a little better financially than we were 8 years ago, my next car will have a Satellite Radio in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts