Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

221 - 240 of 383 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts
See post 1 of the following Shaw thread for eHDD instructions and issues.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=112018

If you get it working, suggest you start a new thread in the Cogeco forum on the topic of eHDDs. I believe there are similar discussions in the Eastlink forum with few working though, and I believe a call to the provider required.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Sorry, I'm not interested in a permanent external hard drive at the moment. I just want to hookup a drive externally to allow it to be formatted properly, so i can then install it internally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
New here on the forum. Lots of great information here!

I'll be trying to upgrade the internal drive on my 3416 as soon as the security bit I ordered arrives.

I'm planning to use a WD 1TB Caviar Greenand a Vantec external box which I can use later for my computers after I format the internal PVR drive. Which Vantec external box is proven to work? I looked at Memory Express and found the Vantec NexStar 3 eSATA 3.5in Enclosure, eSATA & USB2.0 I know that some people have had issues with some external enclosures not detecting if they have both a USB and eSATA interface, but I can't seem to find any that are eSATA only.

TIA

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
New here on the forum. Lots of great information here!

I'll be trying to upgrade the internal drive on my 3416 as soon as the security bit I ordered arrives.

I'm planning to use a WD 1TB Caviar Greenand a Vantec external box which I can use later for my computers after I format the internal PVR drive. Which Vantec external box is proven to work? I looked at Memory Express and found the Vantec NexStar 3 eSATA 3.5in Enclosure, eSATA & USB2.0 I know that some people have had issues with some external enclosures not detecting if they have both a USB and eSATA interface, but I can't seem to find any that are eSATA only.

TIA
I used the Vantec Nexstar CX and it worked fine. I'd think I noticed you'll want to power the enclosure externally first, and let the drive spin up, before hotplugging in the esata port. I think when I plugged in the esata and then gave power to the enclosure, the DCT did not see anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So it's better to hotplug? One of the other posters said to power the box after it was connected to the PVR.

I guess I'll have to try it to see which works for me.

Thank-you

·
Registered
949 Posts
The dct3416 have some issues currently w\ external drives. I'm not sure when it started or if it has been fixed. I don't know if it affects all external drives or just some. I know that i've seen at least 3 seperate 3416's that won't format external drives in the past two weeks. Different drives and enclousures as well. The DCT does see the external drive, but you never receive the format prompt. Most likely it only affects new installs, and not existing setups. I don't have a 3416, so my testing has been limited.

I've used the Vantec CX model quite a bit, and they work well.

·
Registered
949 Posts
This is what I tell people:

Motorola units:

All you need to do is connect the PVR expander to your unit with the included eSata cable. The unit should prompt you to format the external drive.

Pace Units:

Unplug the power from your Pace unit, and then connect the PVR expander to your unit with the included eSata cable. Plug your power cable back in, and the unit should prompt you to format the external drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Arrrrgh!

Bought the WD Green and installed it in the Nexstar 3 (NST-360SU).

The DCT3416 doesn't detect it at all!

The DCT6416 detects it, but then opens a wndow on screen that says:

Please Disconnect the External Drive From the Cable Box : Alert 13

Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Firmware version on both PVRs is 16.76.

Could it be the Vantec enclosure? Most say that they've been using the NexStar CX case which is the NST-300SU. Mine is the NexStar 3 which is the NST-360SU. Both are USB and eSATA, with the NexStar 3 being a little more expensive, but I'm not sure what the differences are otherwise.

If I can find the right cables, I might try just cabling the drive to the eSATA port without going through the box and see if that works.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I played around with it and finally got the drive to format on the 3416. :) It recorded a bit of live TV when I turned it back on after checking it for drive capacity in diagnostics. Can I stll use it to replace the internal drive, or does it have to be completely clean? If it does, how do I re-format it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Finally got my PVR case apart. While I ordered the proper security bit, I decided to experiment since I was impatient to try the swap. I tried a 5/16 hex socket first, but it was a poor fit. The 4mm was marginally better, but didn't bite well enough to loosen the very tight scews. I finally tried an E5 torx socket which loosened 2 of the screws with a lot of pressure. The 3rd screw wouldn't budge however. I lined up a pair of diagonal (side) cutters with the grooves in the screw and managed to loosen it so the E5 would finally work. My security bit finally came in today, and there's no comparison with the other sockets, so if any of ou are serious about this, it's $5 well spent!

Anyway, I did the 1TB drive swap, and lo-and-behold! Diagnostics says I have 978491277312 Bytes (= 911.291015625 Gigabytes) available!

Seems to be working fine, so I'd say this is another successful DCT3416 conversion! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the recording capacity function seems to be working okay, though I haven't yet done any calculations. Quickly adding up my first few days of recording, it shows 9% Full with 11.5 hours HD and 10 hours + 20 min SD. I'm assuming that HD is 4 to 5 times larger than SD, correct?

·
Registered
710 Posts
A little confused...

Gents,

Both my brother and I both have a Shaw DCT3416 I STB, and he also has a DCT6412 III. I'm interested in moving the internal HDs up to the 1 TB limit the newer firmware allows.

It seems I've read a million posts about this process, and no clean instruction exists for the DCT6412 III, but the DCT3416 I process seems almost routine (once you get the Box apart).

I'm not even certain the DCT6412 has a SATA type drive, as some posts talk about jumpers, and most new SATA drives don't come with them. Can you confirm? (I'd rather know before ripping apart his box.) I know he bought this long before I got my DCT3416, but just how old is it? I've read stuff going a ways back.

One of the posts in this Thread advise the ability to format HDs on one DCT3416 externally via the eSATA port, and then migrate it to a different PVR Box. But is this to another DCT3416, or can you do a DCT6412?

I'd appreciate it if you could bring some clarity to this process. Thanks for the assist.;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not even certain the DCT6412 has a SATA type drive, as some posts talk about jumpers, and most new SATA drives don't come with them. Can you confirm? (I'd rather know before ripping apart his box.) I know he bought this long before I got my DCT3416, but just how old is it? I've read stuff going a ways back.

One of the posts in this Thread advise the ability to format HDs on one DCT3416 externally via the eSATA port, and then migrate it to a different PVR Box. But is this to another DCT3416, or can you do a DCT6412?
My understanding is that once you format the drive on your 3416, it should work on the other PVRs as well.

Since you are up-grading your 3416 anyway, why not do the external format on your machine, then just install it in your brothers to see if it works? If it doesn't, just move it back to install in yours.

It's not that difficult to remove the security screws to get into the box so it's worth the trouble trying. If you don't want to spend $5 for the security bit, try one of the other options previously mentioned. Another easy way would be to use a cutting disc on a dremel tool and cut a slot in the screw so you can use a flathead screwdriver.

·
Registered
366 Posts
6412 v111 are sata and are very easy to work with.

Gents,

It seems I've read a million posts about this process, and no clean instruction exists for the DCT6412 III, but the DCT3416 I process seems almost routine (once you get the Box apart).

I'd appreciate it if you could bring some clarity to this process. Thanks for the assist.;)
The 6412 version 111 has sata there should be an e-sata port on the back. This shows up in the diagnostics as harddrive #2. If you format the new drive as an external with the e-sata port it will work.

Do not forget to make sure that the fan is clean. Blowing air or a vacuum is not recommended as this pooched my fan and I had to change it out.:eek: If you do clean it with a vacuum or blown air do not let the fan spin while you do the deed.

I changed to a 1 tb western digital green and found that it runs great and has had no trouble for the last year and a half. The green series spins at 5400 hundred rpm when not under heavy load and runs much cooler than other drives like seagates or WD black series drives.

Because the WD Green drive running at 5400 rpm has no trouble at all with hd files I am thinking that a laptop sata drive might work if I can find a converter. That way I could spin down the fan and run with very little internal heat. My way of thinking is that for an internal drive that does not have heat trouble laptop drives might be a very good choice as well. Though 1 tb laptop drives are not exactly cheap.

I also changed the tech screws to black fine thread computer screws so that cleaning the unit is now a snap.

Good luck!
Eric

221 - 240 of 383 Posts