Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
So this new firmware should support a larger internal drive? That's even better than external! Are there drive compatibility lists, or should any SATA drive work?

Admin EDIT:

This thread is strictly for discussing how to upgrade an INTERNAL drive for Shaw PVR with firmware 16.74

Please see
Larger Hard Drive for the 6412 limited to 160 GB by firmware
for basic instructions for replacing the drive in the Motorola Boxes.

Please see

Firmware 16.74 update discussion thread
for other issues relating to this firmware update.
Edit by 57:

Note that it appears that the drive must be formatted (externally) before it can be used internally. See the following page of this thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=111592&page=5

See also the following recent instructions:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2460122#post2460122

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Please note. This thread is strictly for the discussion of upgrading your internal drive on a Shaw PVR with firmware 16.74.

Please read the links in Post #1 before posting here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What power connector is used on the drive? Old molex style, or new sata style?

I looked through the old thread, but couldn't find any info.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, the only drive I had here is a 250Gb. I put it in, how can I tell if it is being recognized as a 250?

EDIT!

Woohoo,
went into diagnostic mode, checked DVR status, it said
30 991 712 256 B for recording capacity remaining.

Converted, that is 230.90625 gigabits I think. Is that right?

Went to the next page, said installed drive was 250GB

So I think the limit is gone! Wonder what the top is.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The Fuzz. Does everything work properly? Guide, Recording, Playback etc? Did your space left % drop down on your list when you went from 160 to 250?

Edit: What are the specs on the 250gb drive you used?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't had much time to confirm that, but recording and live rewind etc worked. Used space is 0%, since it is a new drive. Guide worked. Drive is a Western Digital Caviar, can't see the full specs but it is older, probably 4 years old.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I just put in a 1TB WD Green drive and so far ... so good. Booted up fine. Pause function works.

Have a recording set to begin in 20 minutes to test. However, I am also reporting the same free space in my diagnostics screen (30991712256) which actually only converts to 28GB (TheFuzz ... I think you ran the calculation for gigabits, not gigabytes). I'm not yet worried about that as it may have something to do with all the initialization that needs to go on. Will check it later.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I haven't opened my boxes but I am guessing the 3416 boxes use SATA drives and the older 6416 use IDE or PATA?
Can any one confirm that?
If the good reports keep coming in I am going to put in a larger drive me self on both boxes.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
3416, 6412PIII, and 6416 all use SATA.

Still can't get proper capacity. The Diagnostics reports a 1000GB drive, but I am not getting even the old 160GB free space. I just pulled the drive and re-formatted it as NTFS in my PC to force the DCT to re-format it. We'll see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are right, I have 1 thing recorded now, and it is using 23% space.

My drive was NTFS formatted before I put it in. grrrr

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Argh that sucks, id help trouble shoot but I dont have any extra drives laying around.
1 program shouldn't take up 23%. Something must be off, have you done the format through the moto box?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I pulled the drive ... re-formatted it as exFAT and tried again. Same problem. I did a recording test as well and it pro-rated to a total of about 5 hours of recording so there's clearly an issue.

Also tried the hard drive reset to no avail.

I've popped back in my 160GB drive for now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yay, cheat codes! Alright, reset. waiting now . . .

EDIT
So does this mean we have to wait another 2 years for another firmware update???

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, formatting brought up the same free space, so that didn't work. I just put the old drive back in for now, so won't be doing a full reset.

I guess the next thing to try is esata . . .but that will be for another night.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sigh, to bad things cant be simple.
Hopefuly we can figure out how to do a drive swap or do the external thing some how. Or we will keep wishing for that next update

1 - 20 of 383 Posts