Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
SD 630 Support

if you don't want people to mess with the receivers just activate the esata port the 630 is sure a great machine and (i speak for myself) is way better than 530 but hard disk space is way outdated

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
SD 630 Support

if you don't want people to mess with the receivers just activate the esata port the 630 is sure a great machine and (i speak for myself) is way better than 530 but hard disk space is way outdated
The Esata port was put there for a reason and it would make sense to allow external storage like Bell has been for the last year or so.......so I second that :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
With being able to mass purchase they could have went from a 320GB hard drive to a 640GB hard drive for about $20 more. If the receievrs had came with that I would have never bothered to put a larger drive in one of my receivers. Aprrox. 45 hours of HD is just not enough free space for a main reciever these days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A 320gig drive is totally to small these days with high definition programming. When I purchased the PVR I actually thought that i would be able to attach an external drive for more storage space - now I am not so sure! Why build the features into the device and then not use them, but this seems to be the theme with Shaw Direct. I will truly be disappointed if these features do not become available.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I haven't been able to watch much TV this week, due to family issues, and the 320 Gb drive is doing just fine. 4 hours on Monday, 6 on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday, and 2 last night (generally, it's 4). All HD. Another 20 in SD and another 4 or 5 tonight in HD. That will result in about half the drive being full.

As much as I like the TV, there aren't enough good shows on a week to week basis to require tripling my capacity. At least, that's my opinion.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Krydor, yes that is your opinion, but not mine that is why I upgraded.

If you record some movies to watch at a later time, along with that and then go on vacation for a week or two it does not take long get over 45 hours of HD contenet. We all have different needs, and record very little in SD which makes a difference as well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bigger Hard Drive

I like to record entire series to watch in the summer when there is nothing on... Could not do that with the 160GB HD on the 530 and won't be able to with the 320GB on the 630 either...thus an upcoming HD upgrade... But I want to wait a little longer and give SD the change to fix some of the bugs via firmware upgrade. I want to rule out anything I might have done wrong when something if something bad happens with my 630.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Are any seals are broken when u open up the 630? and is the 2.5" drive I would need IDE or SATA?

Thx, p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Each to his own but I have a WD TV with 6.5 TB attached to it. We like to watch total series one after another during the winter and when we are just bored.

For anyone that has changed a drive - can you access the recordings on the drive that you have removed...like in your pc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Western Digital

I have tried Western Digital drives, 2-Green 1-Black, they all went into a constant reboot cycle, so appears they don't work for some reason. These are full size drives and have to be powered externally as appears 630 receiver only outputs 5volts of power and full size drives need 12 volts to spin and 5volts to read/write data. The small 2.5 inch laptop drives only need 5 volts to work as I understand.

(So Seagate Pipeline HD 1T External, and SAMSUNG HM100UI Internal, tried by QCK work for this mod)

There is a photo, and additional info in my Profile Album section.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for posting your results QCK!
I'm also considering this upgrade as our 320 GB drive is almost full. :(

Would the 630 receiver benefit from a larger cache and higher RPM drive?
The larger cache and higher RPM might help with the performance of 'Live Record to Disk' and it may also solve the pixelation issue.
It may also help with the program search speed and guide speeds as this info is stored on the drive.

I'm going to try a 7,200 RPM drive with a 16 or 32 MB cache.

·
Registered
111 Posts
"I have tried Western Digital drives, 2-Green 1-Black, they all went into a constant reboot cycle, so appears they don't work for some reason. These are full size drives and have to be powered externally as appears 630 receiver only outputs 5volts of power and full size drives need 12 volts to spin and 5volts to read/write data. The small 2.5 inch laptop drives only need 5 volts to work as I understand."

I did learn with the 530's that external power on the drive does not work. I think the receiver needs to boot the drive up at a given moment for it to be recognized - or rather the drive can not have power at the moment the receiver is first turned on. Hotplugging the USB connector after boot worked (unplug USB and reconnect) on the 530.

If the 630 is doing this for the same reasons as the 530, you could complicate things and make the full-size drive work on external power by inserting a small relay in the 630 that switches on when power is applied to the hard drive connector - and then use it to switch power to your external drive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any problems thus far???

Just curious if anyone has experienced any problems with upgrading their HDD? Specifically when it comes to missed recordings or pixelation issues.

The main reason I ask, is because I have these issues currently with both my 630's (even after factory resets and phone conversations with SD techs), and I am wondering if the problem lays with my Hard Drive. And doing the upgrade would be because I want to rid myself of these problems. Plus, I would love the extra room for recording.
I would probably get the "SAMSUNG SpinPoint MT2 HM100UI 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive"

Has everyone thus far, who has upgraded, had a beautiful stable 630? The way it's suppose to be?

Thanks for your time! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks QCK, that helps me out a little bit more. I think I might wait for the new firmware now, and see if that helps stabilize the 630 before I install a larger size HDD.

-Cheers!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Several posts removed.

The topic is "Upgraded internal HDD to a 1TB HDD for the 630"

Please stick to discussion of updating the internal HDD in a 630 or your posts will be removed and you may receive an infraction.

21 - 40 of 254 Posts