Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 254 of 254 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,441 Posts
So do you see any problem if I pulled my working drive, put in a new, larger one as a test to see if it works, with the idea of putting the original drive back in after to finish watching shows ?
I wouldn't risk that. When you put back the original drive, it may get formatted. I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying I wouldn't risk that happening without watching all the programming first.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I wouldn't risk that. When you put back the original drive, it may get formatted. I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying I wouldn't risk that happening without watching all the programming first.
I could do the test on that spare 630 I have in the closet - it doesn't have anything on it anyways. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
522 Posts
I could do the test on that spare 630 I have in the closet - it doesn't have anything on it anyways. Thanks for the advice
@tvmaster: I think you need to have the new drive connected to the receiver via ESata in order for it to format before replacing it. I am pretty sure that the original drive will retain it's data while both are connected.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
So you would format a drive you mean to use as the INTERNAL drive EXTERNALLY? That seems odd, but it would be easier I suppose? Anyone else do this lately?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
The best, and really the only way I have got recent newly hard drives formatted is to use a working 630 receiver. Place your new hard drive in an eSata case and let your 630 bootup with it connected. With it connected this way you will be able to format it. Once the format is complete you can put that hard drive as an internal drive in any receiver that needs it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The best, and really the only way I have got recent newly hard drives formatted is to use a working 630 receiver. Place your new hard drive in an eSata case and let your 630 bootup with it connected. With it connected this way you will be able to format it. Once the format is complete you can put that hard drive as an internal drive in any receiver that needs it.
What kind of drives (brand, model, SSD or HDD) will work internal with the 630?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
I used this one:

WD Blue 1TB Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 9.5 MM 2.5 Inch - WD10JPVX

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
eSATA always needs external power. USB2 should have external power for an external 2.5" hard drive but may work without it. (Mine did with the 630.) Power adapters that will work are fairly cheap. A lot of small 5v USB hubs and drives use them but don't always include them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
eSATA always needs external power. USB2 should have external power for an external 2.5" hard drive but may work without it. (Mine did with the 630.) Power adapters that will work are fairly cheap. A lot of small 5v USB hubs and drives use them but don't always include them.
Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I currently have an external eSATA hard drive connected to a 630 receiver. I would like to replace the internal HDD from that same 630 receiver. I understand I would have to format that new drive externally before installing it in the 630. In order to do that, I will need to disconnect the eSATA external drive from the 630 and then connect the replacement drive externally so it can be formatted.

My question is: when I reconnect the external eSATA drive will the 630 still recognize it or will all the recordings on it be lost?

·
Registered
522 Posts
@goalsgo I went through the exact scenario you are describing when I upgraded my HD, and I can tell you that all the recordings on the external drive will be lost. If your internal drive isn't totally cooked, after you swap in the new one, use the old one in an enclosure and watch whatever is left on there before reconnecting the external eSATA.

·
Registered
218 Posts
@goalsgo I went through the exact scenario you are describing when I upgraded my HD, and I can tell you that all the recordings on the external drive will be lost. If your internal drive isn't totally cooked, after you swap in the new one, use the old one in an enclosure and watch whatever is left on there before reconnecting the external eSATA.
Thank you!

241 - 254 of 254 Posts