Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 245 of 245 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,440 Posts
So do you see any problem if I pulled my working drive, put in a new, larger one as a test to see if it works, with the idea of putting the original drive back in after to finish watching shows ?
I wouldn't risk that. When you put back the original drive, it may get formatted. I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying I wouldn't risk that happening without watching all the programming first.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I wouldn't risk that. When you put back the original drive, it may get formatted. I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying I wouldn't risk that happening without watching all the programming first.
I could do the test on that spare 630 I have in the closet - it doesn't have anything on it anyways. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
520 Posts
I could do the test on that spare 630 I have in the closet - it doesn't have anything on it anyways. Thanks for the advice
@tvmaster: I think you need to have the new drive connected to the receiver via ESata in order for it to format before replacing it. I am pretty sure that the original drive will retain it's data while both are connected.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
So you would format a drive you mean to use as the INTERNAL drive EXTERNALLY? That seems odd, but it would be easier I suppose? Anyone else do this lately?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
The best, and really the only way I have got recent newly hard drives formatted is to use a working 630 receiver. Place your new hard drive in an eSata case and let your 630 bootup with it connected. With it connected this way you will be able to format it. Once the format is complete you can put that hard drive as an internal drive in any receiver that needs it.

241 - 245 of 245 Posts