Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time SD customer in good standing and have the following units. Two older 4xx receivers a 3xx receiver and two 505 units. From what I have been reading here, upgrades may soon be inevitable. Should I wait until such time as we are forced to upgrade or should I look into this now? I wouldn't mind upgrading my 505's to a 605 & a 630. My other 3 receivers can stay SD but they could also go HD if the deal was right. Would you wait or would you call SD and see what kind of deal I could get?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
See if you can replace the 3xx/4xx for whatever shipping deal they offer.
If they accept that, then trade in the 505s. If they don't, then keep the 505s and but new HD receivers.

My plan is to buy a 605 (and hope they add plug in DVR), use my 505 for the TiVo, and see if I can squeeze a 319 from them.

·
Registered
709 Posts
See if you can replace the 3xx/4xx for whatever shipping deal they offer.
If they accept that, then trade in the 505s. If they don't, then keep the 505s and but new HD receivers.

My plan is to buy a 605 (and hope they add plug in DVR), use my 505 for the TiVo, and see if I can squeeze a 319 from them.
classicsat,

Is using your 505 for the TiVo a short term strategy ? Or is your expectation that SD will not migrate everything to HD with the new Bird in 2012?

I assumed as Canada moves away from SD broadcasts all sources will quickly become HD. Is this wrong?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The reason to use the 505 on the TiVo is simply because I already have it, rather than trade to a 605 and get two 319s, or a 319 and 209. I would sooner have S-video for the TiVo. It also gives me the bonus of recording HD only channels (or OAR HD versions, rather than cropped), for as long as there are MPEG2 HD channels it can receive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts