Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 9865 Nextbox 3.0. I experienced problems with the unit's original Seagate 1TB HDD about 2 years ago, and replaced it with a new same model Seagate HDD. The new HDD fixed all the recording/operational issues. Everything has worked fine with the unit until very recently. For the last couple of weeks I've been getting frequent/intermittent video freezing and/or no sound and/or momentary pixelation when I play back new recorded shows or movies. Recordings I've had from long ago play back just fine, no problems at all. I've checked and the signal into the 9865 is great, as is the S/N ratio. I don't know what the issue is, but I suspect it's being caused by Rogers somehow or other.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what the issue could be? I can't believe I need to replace the HDD again in my 9865 unit!
Thanks, Richard

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Are you hearing any clicking noises when the problem occurs? That's often an indication of a failing drive.

If you replay the "problem" programme, does the same thing happen at exactly the same time? If so, it could be a problem with the "write" phase, or it could be an issue with the incoming programme signal?

What about when you do "pause live TV"? If you watch programing live and there are no issues, but if you REW and watch the same programme but see issues, then that points to a problem with the iHDD. Do some more experimentation with a regard to what goes wrong and you should be able to pinpoint to the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
^ Hello 57 - thanks for your response.
No, I'm not hearing any clicking noises when the problem occurs.
If I replay the "problem" programme, the same thing happens at exactly the same time.
If it's a problem with the "write" phase, would that mean the HDD must be at fault?
I think the issue might be caused by a problem with the incoming programme signal - I've discovered that certain Rogers HD channels cause the issue to happen more often than others. I've also noticed lately - when I'm looking for it - that live TV sometimes freezes for a split second, or the TV screen pixelates very briefly, which would no doubt cause the write process (when the unit is recording) to have fits. I wonder if Rogers is messing around with unusual programme signal compression nowadays?
I picked up a tip from the Rogers Community Forums - I'm currently experimenting with a different "TV Type" under the category of 'Appearance' in the Settings menu for my 9865. If the issue is the incoming programme signal my 9865 may have an easier/better time with the TV Type set to 720p or 1080i versus the 1080p option.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
1080i is probably the best setting. The TV will usually scale to 1080p better than the 9865 will.

I notice dropouts on some channels occasionally. It seems to happen frequently some days and not others. It could be due to atmospheric or network conditions. The worst are the Seattle network stations.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
....certain Rogers HD channels cause the issue to happen more often than others.
If the issue is with SDV channels or specific channels in the higher QAM frequencies, then you may have a temporary or channel-specific signal problem even though other channels are fine. Check the signal on the problem channels at various times of the day. I recently had issues with the signal falling after about 11PM... Yes, try 1080i.

·
Registered
15 Posts
UPDATE: Changing the TV Type setting did nothing to alleviate the new recording playback problem as described in my earlier post. Signal strength and S/N Ratio have proven to be excellent on every channel I have checked. I decided yesterday to carry out a factory reset of my 9865 to see if that might resolve the issue, an action which (of course) resulted in losing all of my long-time saved recordings. :( Unfortunately the factory reset did not alleviate the new recording playback problem. My next plan of action (today) is to remove the iHDD from my 9865 and wipe the drive (i.e. fill all sectors with zeros). Later, when I reinstall the wiped iHDD and boot up my 9865, the unit should carry out an automatic formatting (HddF) of the drive, etc. If, after all that, the new recording playback problem still exists, I will pronounce the HDD defective (in terms of its "writing phase" abilities) and purchase a new iHDD. If I buy a new iHDD I'll be looking to get the latest Seagate SkyHawk 1TB Surveillance 3.5" HDD available on Amazon.ca for the current price of $76.49. Will provide further updates as I proceed.
/RB

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
The quickest way to test the drive is to perform an extended SMART test. I use a program called GSmartControl. It will show drive statistics and possible imminent failures due to low level errors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
10/09 UPDATE: Yesterday I removed the 1TB iHDD from my 9865 and wiped the drive (i.e. filled all sectors with zeros) using the downloaded free version of a Windows-based program called Macrorit Data Wiper. The program is extremely easy to use, and the entire wiping process took about 2 hours. After that I reinstalled the wiped iHDD into my 9865 and powered up the unit. The unit rebooted 3 times, and after one of the reboots the unit carried out an automatic formatting of the drive (my 9865 displayed "HddF" during the process). After all the processes were complete my 9865 was working fine/normally and I decided to record a couple of 1 hour TV shows. I watched both shows last night and I'm happy to report there were no problems whatsoever with the playback. I'm guessing the original playback issue (on new recordings only) was caused by some corruption that existed on the drive disc, however caused. We'll see over the coming days & weeks whether my 9865 continues to perform well with respect to recorded program playback.

·
Registered
15 Posts
^ ExDilbert, thanks for your reply. I did not perform an extended SMART test per your mention/suggestion, however I may investigate that particular exercise some time in future should the need arise.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts