Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Found this. Looks simple enough to be worth trying.

A factory reset might help:
1. Press and hold power and select on the front of the box and keep holding for the next two steps.
2. Unplug the power.
3. Wait 10 seconds and plug the power back in.

Most people have been using the WD drives - purple, blue, black, red...
A 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA drive should work. I'd recommend a Seagate SkyHawk 1TB Surveillance drive. It's similar to the media drives that were used in later 9865 production runs. With 1M hours MTBF, 180TB/year workload rating and three-year warranty it's well suited to PVR use. The WD Purple Surveillance are similar in specs but I have concerns about WD drive reliability. Can't recommend WD green or red drives. I had a 50%+ failure rate on the green drives in under three years. The red drives are better but seem to have some issues as well. The WD black drives are just too expensive and power hungry for use in the 9865.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I’ve checked my signal, I’ve got a 35, and all the other signals are good too 0.4. My living room tv also has a 9865 in working condition. I’ve tried several times to reset the unit by unplugging and plugging it back in as described in the previous forums.

·
Registered
11 Posts
And to add to the matter, I’ve reinstall the original drive and it seems it doesn’t want to work either, although the reason for replacing it was because I would be able to get the 9865 to function for about 24 hrs and then have to reboot the system again, but now that doesn’t even work!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Contact Rogers service and have them push the latest firmware version to the unit.

I had an unusual problem and that fixed it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just tried it with the new drive, failed. Rogers is telling me that me signal is low and therefore I cannot get the software I need. But looking at the manufacturer diagnostics- network status- I’m showing a 1.4dbmv and s/n 35.1db

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Something is not right. If you have s/n 35.1, then Rogers should see that same number!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree! They want to send a tech out to have a look and try to resolve the box issue, in my past experience, they say it’s the box and there’s nothing they can do

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I had the same problem with the tech who came to my home and declared the box was at fault. He was willing to swap the box until he realized it was mine and not a rental. At this point he refused to do anymore and left.
So I contacted the office of the president and he had service update the box and fixed it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
“Service” can you clarify on exactly who updated the box, was it a Rogers tech that came to your home or was it a tech over the phone? I’ve been told by several techs over the phone that they had tried everything they could to get it to work, next option would be a house call tech!

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
Just tried it with the new drive, failed. Rogers is telling me that me signal is low and therefore I cannot get the software I need. But looking at the manufacturer diagnostics- network status- I’m showing a 1.4dbmv and s/n 35.1db
Are you seeing these signal strengths with the "problem" box, or with your other box? If the "problem" box has booted, but has a problem due to the hard drive and you are able to watch programming, then you may have done something wrong when you installed the new HDD? I'm a bit confused as to what exactly is happening.

·
Registered
11 Posts
These readings are with the problem box. I’m able to get into the manufactures menu that allows me to check the signals and such while the box is on PEnd.

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
Strange. If the signal is good, the box should boot with the old drive and work as a STB to watch TV even if the iHDD is shot....

It's possible there is some other damage to the PVR, although most issues usually revolve around the HDD.

If you call Rogers again, do ask them to put you through to second level tech so that they can "push" the firmware again. Some CSRs are better than others at helping. Unfortunately, if you own the box, they aren't as helpful. I've encountered this myself in the past since I own all my boxes, but my civil persistence paid off once when a box wouldn't reboot after a vacation.

Good Luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, ya it appears my box is cooked some how, Rogers can’t get their signal through after several attempts I’ve come to give up and find another one! I’ve tried swapping drives, but no luck. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Solid State drive ?

Did not see a reply to a further post regarding solid state drives ? Anyone have any experience with them ?
That would solve the noise issue with the drive spinning and also remove the whole mechanical aspect of the drive making it even more reliable.

I'm about to embark on a drive swap and weighing my options.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Solid state drives are coming down in prices I'm using a Samsung 500gb SSD ( under $100) as a glorified USB stick. Wondering if it would work in the NB2 or NB3?

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
7200RPM and above drives can be noisy. I suggest using slower drives, often 5400RPM, designed for 24/7 duty and use with video or surveillance duties. They typically make very little noise. They also tend to have longer warranties.

There is some question as to whether SSD drives will last in a PVR. The constant writes done by PVRs for recording and caching could cause premature failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1TB vs 2TB

Hi, forgot to ask whether it matters 1TB vs 2TB. I'm not trying to recover anything off the old drive simply replacing it.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
That depends on how much programming gets recorded. Keep in mind that it's best to keep the drive less than 75% full. A 1TB drive will hold up to 200hr of HD and a 2TB drive 400hr. There was only about $20 difference in price the last time I looked so a 2TB drive is the best buy per GB. Drives over 2TB won't work.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts