Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I would assume you could.. its a SATA drive inside.

Though the 9865 is a 1tb drive though.. so unless you got a lot of $$, would be costly to put a 1tb SSD in there

·
Super Moderator
56,558 Posts
I see you've been experimenting with new iHDDs in the 8642, as indicated in the thread below:

Adding Larger Internal HDD to Rogers 8642 PVR - Read Post 1 - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

So far we haven't had any discussions regarding updating the iHDD on the 9865, so I've started this thread for the topic. I don't believe many will care at this point since the 9865 has a 1TB iHDD and it's usually pretty quiet (although obviously not as quiet as an SSD). If you do experiment with the 9865, please post your results here.

The threads on the 8300 and later the 8642 were started because early units had 160 GB iHDDs which were barely adequate for some people and certainly not for heavy users. Also, as those units became 3-4 years old, more people who owned their units started having HDD failures. The 9865 is less than a year old, has a 1TB iHDD and many people probably rent-to-own, hence the lack of activity so far on the topic...

eHDDs for the 8642 and 9865 are already being discussed in the following thread:

Rogers 8642 & 9865 HD PVR External SATA Drive discussion - See Post 1 First - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Now that the 9865 utilizes "media shrink" you can store about 1.6X as much as before (approximately 200-250 hours total), so very few people will need a larger internal or an external HDD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure why you are singling out Samsung. The same article also says...

1) They all exceeded their endurance specifications early on, successfully writing hundreds of terabytes without issue. That's a heck of a lot of data, and certainly more than most folks will write in the lifetimes of their drives.

2) 2 other drives died before the lower-end Samsung did.

3) A higher-end Samsung drive is soldiering on.

If one really wants to follow the endurance test closer, here is the series of articles from the beginning.

Intro - http://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endurance-experiment
22TB - http://techreport.com/review/25320/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-22tb-update
200TB - http://techreport.com/review/25559/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-200tb-update
300TB - http://techreport.com/review/25681/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-testing-data-retention-at-300tb
500TB - http://techreport.com/review/25889/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-500tb-update
600TB - http://techreport.com/review/26058/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-data-retention-after-600tb
1PB (1000TB) - http://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-on-the-way-to-a-petabyte

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Nextbox 3.0 (Cisco 9865) HDD failed a couple weeks ago and I'm happy to report that I've been able to teardown the unit and replace the drive without issue.

I'll break down my steps should anyone else wish / need to replace the drive as I did. The overall time from start to finish was around 60-75 minutes.
You'll need a Torx 10 and Torx 15 sized security screwdriver. I used the Husky multibit screwdriver set from Home Depot (~$16).
Plastic spudger or other soft flat pry tool to get the exterior case off.
Any off the shelf 1TB SATA drive. I purchased the Western Digital Blue for $73.00.

-The exterior of the unit has two Torx 10 sized screws on the left and right side, remove these
-Flip unit upside down where you will see two black plastic latches holding the lid in place. Use the plastic spudger to lift both and then slide the top case off.
-You'll now have the main unit exposed. You'll see the main electronics are covered by a safety plate (something the 8642HD does not have). There are now 8 additional screws which will need removal. Six on the top plate and two on either side.
-Once the screws are removed, use the spudger tool to lightly spry the metal clasps holding that plate in place. Lift it off gently.
-The electronics to the whole unit will now be accessible.
-Use the Torx 10 screw bit to unscrew the four golden screws holding the hard drive plate in place.
-Gently remove the main power/sata coupler from the drive before lifting out
-You'll now have the hard drive removed from the unit, but still attached to the support cage
-Use the Torx 15 to remove the last four screws and remove the drive.

Now follow the steps in reverse installing your new drive. As Cisco uses a proprietary hard drive formatting, you do not need to preformat the drive.

Once you've got everything back together you'll need to reconnect it to power, HDMI and cable in. This part takes around 20 minutes so you'll need to be patient.

The unit will boot back up and see a new drive. On the LCD screen HDDF will be lit up -- meaning the unit will format the drive. You'll then see cd## as it formats and downloads to update the unit. My unit rebooted about 3 times throughout the process and then eventually displayed the current time. After turning the unit back on, I was informed it was no longer authorized and had to call Rogers to re-authorize the unit. I'm guessing the HDD may store some auth data. Maybe it was just my unit - either way, it'll be your longest step if necessary...waiting on hold.

Good Luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced with a WD Black 1TB and working fine. Has Anybody tried larger of different hard Drive?

Thanks Steedo

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
or a SSD? 1tb SSDs are a bit expensive still though and I doubt the extra speed is necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
232 Posts
What's the largest drive size - 3 T ?

What is the maximum size drive that the HD PVr handle? I have a spare 3T WD Red that just came off my NAS and was wondering if the size is too large for the unit. Any ideas please?

·
Super Moderator
56,558 Posts
I believe you can put it in and it will be formatted to the maximum, which I believe is 2TB (on the 9865), but since no one has done it on this forum, that has not been confirmed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Paulis,

How is your repair working out now a few months later? Based on your post I am considering doing the same. I purchased a used Nextbox 3.0 9685 on Kijiji last week and it is riddled with issues. After my second factory reset it is stuck on boot and Rogers is saying the signal etc is great. Also did you install the 7200RPM WD blue or 5400?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@ExDilbert : Thanks! @paulis : your instructions were spot on and after 30 minutes of labour + 30 minutes of patience with the boot process I am happy to report that my PVR (NB3 9685) is working like a charm. In fact it is better than I have seen any other one work. Glad I found this thread and did not follow the guy on YouTube who literally took a blowtorch to open his NB3 instead opening 8 screws and using some finesse. Thanks again @paulis.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Symptoms of HDD failure

Our 15 month-old 9865 started freezing during playback, so Rogers sent a couple of techs who diagnosed a box failure and replaced it. Three days later, the new box started freezing, displayed BOOT once on the display, after which the display seemed to oscillate between 4 dashes and a blank display. I could hear a clicking noise every few seconds, as if the box was trying to read the HDD. I returned the box to the store and got a new one. No problems since Monday.

Why would a failed HDD stop the boot process? Isn't the firmware in FLASH on the system board? I would at least expect the system to boot up and maybe tell me that there is a HDD error, but it was a zombie.

I would think that the firmware needs to be on the system board to enable a new (blank) HDD to be installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a nextbox 3.0 from somebody off of kijiji for $200. It was in boot mode for maybe an hour or two, and then had the HDDF code indefinitely after that. Based on the instructions from paulis, I figured that I would try to replace the hard drive and see if it works. I tried the WD Blue 1 TB ($69 from Canada Computers). I'm glad to report that the dvr is up and running!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Rogers Netbox 3.0 HD continuously freezes up. It performs a system upgrade a few times a week but most often it reboots at least twice a day. I got it on one of those rent for 3 year deal and after that, pay $1.00 and it's mine. Surely enough, around 1-2 months after the 3 years is when these issues started. I have been told it needs a new hard drive.

Can someone help with this or send me a few links to the 1TB HD needed please.

·
Super Moderator
56,558 Posts
Just as an FYI, the most common issue with these units is a poor signal. Have you called Rogers and have them check the signal in your home and in your neighbourhood? Have you talked to your neighbours? Have you checked the signal yourself? Have you tried the PVR at another cable outlet or temporarily removed any upstream splitters that can deteriorate signal? Can you watch programmes that are already recorded? Can you "pause live TV"? See FAQ below on how to test the signal in the diagnostics:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-...7719-57-faq-tips-sa-cisco-stbs-also-pace.html

If it does turn out to be a problem with the iHDD, it shouldn't be difficult to find a 1TB WD Black. I believe it's the following, but someone else will need to confirm. There have not been very many iHDD failures to date on the 9865, although they are getting to the age when it does happen, depending on usage.

WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD1003FZEX - Canada Computers & Electronics

I believe the WD Blue was also utilized, although the Black is probably a superior drive.

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive- 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - Canada Computers & Electronics

I just don't want you wasting your time and money changing out the iHDD if the real issue is signal related.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts