Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to upgrade my internet service from 10mps to 15 mps while i was willing to accept the additional $10 for the increased speed I was horrified to hear that they wanted to charge me an additional $4 a month for a better modem! Is this normal practise??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yep. You have no choice. In order to enjoy the 15Mbps speeds, you need one of the newer DOCSIS 3 compatible modems. Rogers made this decision, even though the older DOCSIS 2 modems would work just fine. My guess is that if lots of subs were to go to 15Mbps with the older modems, it would overload some of their nodes, slowing everyone down. If you have an older DOCSIS 2 compatible modem, and you own it, you're out of luck. My suggestion is to stay with the package that you have if you own your modem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually the real reason why you need the docsis 3 modem is that the docsis 2 will work fine indeed but there is a chance that it could over heat.

So yes you have no choice but to take it. And besides it's a great wireless modem you can hook up to 10 computers on it ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts