Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new home security solution without third party monitoring fees/subscriptions. I have a 6 year old wired-in DSC system in my house and I want to be able to use all of the existing equipment (wires, contacts, keypads, etc.), hook it up to Wi-Fi and monitor my own system via smart phone app. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check out EyezOn (google them). You can buy a small module called the Envisalink 3 which will hook up your DSC system to your home network. Register the module at EyezOn and you will then be able to monitor your system via a smartphone app which they will provide a link to. They offer a number of features for free and there's also the option to upgrade to full monitoring as well if you desire at a later stage. I've been using them for a year now and been very happy with the reliability and quality of service.

Lester

·
Registered
104 Posts
You had contacted us on our site as well so thought I'd reply in both places - I agree the EVL-3 from Eyezon is the simplest way and shouldn't require any programming to get the board working - it just connects to the keypad bus. Based on the board you said you had it is compatible. It's a wired ethernet connection from EVL to your router/switch so hopefully you can run a wire. If not there are WIFI adapters available that let you bridge from the wired connection to your WIFI network. We have those too or they are available from most computer type shops.

·
Registered
560 Posts
5 minutes to install and maybe 5 minutes to setup, I'm getting email and text of alarm events on multiple phones. No app but through browser link can monitor and arm/dis-arm remotely.

Works as advertised.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have to have a closer look at mine. The enclosure says PC1555 but the board might be newer. I'd love to do this, but would probably have to upgrade the board.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've ordered a setup from Scout Alarm. They are a startup, and have been working on their system for over a year, at least, that's when I ordered mine. It's supposed to be wireless, portable (nice for renters) and controlled by your smartphone.

I should have mine by October 2014. I'll let the forum know how it goes.

https://www.scoutalarm.com/

·
Registered
344 Posts
I bought an Easylink but it doesn't come with the 4 colour wire to attach it. Where do you get it? I couldn't find it at Home Depot. Very frustrating that they don't include a small wire to attach the two boards.

·
Registered
560 Posts
nothing special about the wire and colour isn't important just need to ensure connected to the correct terminals. If your going back to HD could get some thermostat wire just get 4 or more conductors (if more just clip off unused). Could probably get by using a piece of ethernet cable.

Not sure if terminal strips on all alarm boards the same but on mine the hook ups where not consecutive so something to watch for. I connected to the AUX, skipped BELL then GREEN/YELLOW (or yellow/green forget exact order).

·
Registered
757 Posts
Even a piece of solid core telephone line (or z-wire as the alarm techs call it) with the red/green/black/yellow would work. Cat5 is so common that I agree with das75. Networking techs, cable installers, even electricians would have plenty of scraps that you could probably get for nothing. If you see someone working on electrical, you could ask them nicely for a chunk :)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
This looks really interesting. Have a DSC panel ... will check the model and see if this will work. Vancouver bylaws require monitoring of alarms, but their rateslook better than what we're paying Cobra/Counterforce. Have some time as we paid for a full year of monitoring last May.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sorry to be such DIY moron but I got some CAT5 18 gauge and when I put it into the 4 screw ins on the board and screwed it in the copper is so brittle it just snapped off. Maybe I should go with the thinner wire?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Are you sure it's 18? I've seen 19 gauge telephone wire, and it's very thick. Copper is very flexible, and if it's not bent more than a few times, it shouldn't break. Is it stranded wire or solid? Maybe the strands are being broken off by the clamp in the board. Cat5 that I work with is 24 gauge I believe, if that helps.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I managed to get it installed and now I have more problems.

I thought I knew the installer code but I get no response. I asked my former monitoring company and they said they don't change codes if you own the equipment. how do I know for sure the code?

On one of the keypads I am now getting a beeping and an OS error. does this mean a wire came loose?

Starting to wish I hadn't done this.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Coasterdon, I'm not sure if you bought the Envisalink from Aartech Canada or elsewhere. If it was from us, please do touch base with our support folks through our web so we can provide guidance - we don't monitor forums for support but sometimes trip across things :)

That said, the wiring should be 4 wire 22 guage, solid or something similar. Known as station wire or zwire as well. It doesn't come with the card but if asked we can throw it in with a purchase for a foot or two or three or what not. We also sell it on our site, but most home improvement stores have it available to be cut. They may have something similar as a phone cable.

For more detail it would be much better & faster to touch base from us (if you bought it from us). Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes I have finally, with help from support. I wasn't able to get into the panel itself becasue I was using the wrong ISP. Also I was using a used keyboard address. Now everything is working fine. I think it's great but I think the instructions included could be a little clearer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Coasterdon, if you'd like to help 'the next guy' and could write up a quick summary of what went wrong and how you fixed it - or a quick guide, we would be happy to post it online in our knowledgebase to help other customers. Only if you thing it has merit of course.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Does the aartech
INSTEON Hub Internet Enabled Home Controller

work with my older X10 switches which I had installed at least 15 years ago?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts