Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade from a 3100 to a 6131 receiver and wanted to know if I needed a new dish or whether I could simply add a LNB to my existing dish and fix the skew to get 82? Not sure what model or size the dish is, but it came in a kit with the 3100, and I bought it back in 2005. I believe there is a slot on the arm for a second LNB.

Also, should I go for a dual LNB?

What else would I need?

I want to avoid having to remove the dish completely and reinstall a new one. Many thanks.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If it has a slot for a second LNBF then you have the correct Dish.

Climb up and check the skew setting, if it was done by a Bell Installer, it should already be skewed for you.

If all you have now is the 3100, all you would need is an SW21, with a feed from each LNBF, then from that, you can use the existing cable that is feeding your 3100 or run a new line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. Couple of more questions before I attempt this: Will any lnb do the job? Is setting the skew fairly straightforward--I fear disrupting my existing arrangement. Thanks again, and great forum btw.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
All you need for the skew is a 7/16" wrench.

Any Bell or Dish Legacy LNBF will be fine.

Try installing a second LNBF and SW21, then run a Check Switch with your 3100, this will tell you if you are getting 82. NOTE; Not ALL transponders on 82 are visible with a 3100.

Just as an FYI, if this is your first HD receiver to be added to your account, I believe Bell still do this for free, might be worth a call, save you some grief.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So got everything setup. Did a check switch and it shows that both odd and even transponders for 82 are ok. However there is 0 signal for sat 82. Is this because of the 3100, and therefore should I get the signal when the 6131 is connected?pretty sure I've got the skew right. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Transponder 1, should show signal on 82 with a 3100, there are other but I can't remember right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I currently have 2 3100 receivers and want to upgrade to 2 6131 receivers. I'm not sure what dish I have or where its pointed to. It was done by Bell a couple of years ago. I have 2 cables coming into my house.

I was told by Bell they would charge $75 to install the 1st receiver and $50 for the second.

Can I just hook up the 6131s?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Try calling Bell again.

You should be entitled to a free Upgrade if you are going to HD or programming from 82 for the first time.

To see what Satelittes you are aimed at, run a Check Switch, MENU, 6, 1, 1. When it finishes, it will say if you are getting 91 & 82 and the type of switch's if any.

·
Registered
7 Posts
91 was checked, 82 was unchecked. Is that good for HD or bad?

Last time I called bell, they said I would have to take a extra HD package for a year to get free installation. I only wanted the basic package with the few free HD channels.

Thanks for your help Pinza.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
You need 82 for the HD Channels.

So I would say the easiest and cheapest way right now is to get a DPP Twin LNBF, see this thread;

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79128

It will slot in at the end of the "Y" yolk on your Dish, just connect the 2 lines to the 2 x Outputs and you should be good to go with a pair of HD Receivers.

Ther is nothing to stop you putting the 6131's on the lines now as a straight swap for the 3100's, at least with an External hard Drive they would become PVR's until you change the LNBF, when you would then get the HD as well.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Just wanted to alert gackie that you can have up to 6 receivers on account. The equipment that will probably be added to allow the 6131's will probably include a SW44 or something similar which will allow 4 receivers to be hooked up, which would mean if you have a use for the 3100's you could keep them hooked up.
The last time I talked to Bell, they said a customer in good standing is allowed 2 upgrades per year, which I think should cover the install but it also depends on who you talk to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was hoping not to have to make modifications to the dish, since it's on the roof and I don't have a ladder :) I guess I'll need an installer. Thanks Pinza.

Thanks for the info dirtroad. I won't really need the 3100s and I'll kinda be glad to be rid of them.

I'll give Bell a call and try to get the install for free. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You should be able to sell those with no problem as they are the best std. def. receivers Bell has ever had in my opinion, I like more than the 4100. I have one that I rotate in and out of my active receivers to have as a spare.
Have you talked to Bell about trading up or is that what you are doing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dirtroad, I'm just buying new HD receivers, I didn't know you could trade up. They offered me a $75 credit if I by one from them. Does anyone know if I can buy a receiver from Bestbuy and still get the credit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I called Bell and they said I could buy the receiver anywhere and still get the $75 credit, but I would have to pay $99 to just upgrade the dish. Pretty ridiculous.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts