Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that the new Elites in build dvd player is upconverting.

does anyone know if the existing 360 HD player add on also upconverts non high def DVDs?

Thank you

Charlie

·
Registered
366 Posts
the vga connection is still analog, and many have said that it is an inferior connection compared to component - at least on the games side. colours seem washed out and the blacks aren't. however this maybe be just complaining for the sake of complaining. others have said that a simple menu calibration fixes it. it also depends on what tv you have, as vga interfaces vary in quality.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wil be using a front projectoer (Mits HD1000U)

Thanks for the info guys.

Nothing is ever easy LOL

Cheers

Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tried the VGA connection rather than Component connection-was surprised that the quality was the same if not better than component connection. I have the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive and the VGA connection was certainly as good for my 1 of 2 HD-DVD's as component on my HDTV at 1080i. Tried a regular DVD using Xbox 360 DVD on VGA and it seemed to be upconverting as the resolution was certainly better than previously under the component connection. Used the same regular DVD movie in the HD-DVD with VGA and it seemed the same quality-so I suspect it is upconverting to 720p.
Unfortunately I cannot leave the VGA cable attached as this TV is my media server computer monitor as well.
Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
Xbox 360 and upconversion

The 360 does indeed upconvert. It cannot do it in component connections because, from what I understand, there is a legal issue. I presume this is the same reason why there are no upconverting DVD players that upscale through their component connections. There are no such restrictions for HDMI (because its a piracy protected connection) and VGA connections. The real benefit of using a VGA connection on the Xbox is that it will upscale to your panel's native resolution. So in the case of 42" plasmas, it will convert to 1024 x 768 and for LCDs with odd resolutions such as 1360 x 768, it will scale to that exact resolution internally. I noticed a huge difference in picture quality over the component connection and in fact, the picture rivals my Pioneer Elite DVD player, though granted the player is about 7 years old.

I used to connect my HTPC through the VGA port as well and considered getting a VGA switcher so I could have both connected but in the end I settled for hooking up my PC via component cables. Its a little blurry but usable still. Its easy to do this if you have a more recent video card with TV output. You just need the proprietary output wire that has component jacks on it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
[quote/]I presume this is the same reason why there are no upconverting DVD players that upscale through their component connections.
[/quote]

Incorrect. While very limited, there are a few upconverting DVD players that upconvert to 720p/1080i via component. I have two LG 7832 (same as the Zenith 318) which does this via the older firmware. The newer firmware is aimed towards upconverting via DVI. One can switch back and forth if needed.

Dave

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wetrider wrote:

I used to connect my HTPC through the VGA port as well and considered getting a VGA switcher so I could have both connected but in the end I settled for hooking up my PC via component cables. Its a little blurry but usable still. Its easy to do this if you have a more recent video card with TV output. You just need the proprietary output wire that has component jacks on it.

Wetrider, just install AnyDVD and you will be able to upconvert standard DVD on your HTPC and output over component with no problem. I'm doing it and it looks significantly better to my eyes, however it all depends on the source material; in general I find newer DVDs to upscale much better than older DVDs (i.e. prior to 2000) unless the older DVD is a digital re-master. Superbit editions are usually very good, also..... :)

Just to stay on topic, I would also say that playing a standard DVD on the Xbox 360 HD DVD player looks great.... ;)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hmm I am thinking of purchasing the HD DVD player add on. I haven't read a lot yet but plan to.

I don't watch tonnes of movies so will this do the trick? And pretty good quality and reliability?

And sounds like I should have my xbox hooked up via VGA, that I find shocking but I guess "results will vary" :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
VGA or Component?

So i just bought the HD DVD add on for my xbox360.

I am going to see how it plays and outputs the picture and sound.

So the best way to hook up is via VGA ? And will that give me 1080p output?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hmm yah I have been reading that if my current set up via component will work to get me 1080p as long as my TV supports 1080p which it does.

I will set this up today and see the results or lack of results lol.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Well, if you tv isn't 1080p, I wouldn't worry too much about outputting 1080p from the 360.

If your tv is newer, odds are it will only accept 1080p over HDMI anyways (or VGA if your tv has the connection).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
On further review with my TV manual, it does seem my TV will only accept a 1080p signal with either HDMI, DVI or VGA. Thus I went out and purchased a VGA cable for Xbox.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
DVD Upconvert w/ 360 Elite

Frankly I am very dissapointed with the quality of upconversion of DVDs using the 360 w/ HDMI. Can anyone recommend a better upconverting player?

Everyone of my DVDs have WAYY to many jagged edges and artifacts.
I was looking at going with a OPPO but not sure if I need to go that fancy or not. I have read a ton of reviews...just looking for something better than the 360---I am running everything into my new Samsung LN-T5271F -- pretty sure I got it calibrated correctly...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts