Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first post so please be kind.
I just moved into a new place and the previous owner left a Bell ExpressVu dish mounted to the side of the house:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/kurrajong/OTA/DSC_0619.jpg

The cables from the dish run into the locked box on the side of the house:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/kurrajong/OTA/DSC_0621.jpg

I can't open the box at the moment but I intend to open it (one way or another) later on.

I've never had satellite TV before so I am completely clueless.
Can I receive anything as it is?
What other equipment/subscriptions do I need?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
You appear to have an 18" Dish aimed at Nimiq 91.

The box on the wall, is called a demarkation point or CSE (Customer Service Enclosure), it is the sole property, normally of the Cable Co and it is not 'normally' used by Bell Technicians.

There are virtually no free channels on Bell, just a couple of 'barker' Channels, these are available by buying a Bell receiver and hooking it up to one of the lines. To get more Channels, a subscription will be required.

With the current set up you will only get SD Channels, for HD you will need to replace the Dish with one that hold 2 x LNBF's, you will also require an SW21 or SW44 switch, to combine those signals, into the existing cables feeding into the house.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
That dish needs to be upgraded for HDTV anyway. I would explore the best TV options and go from there. Bell will upgrade the dish and the installation for new customers. The box is locked by Rogers to prevent cable theft. IMHO, it's a bit heavy handed to put a locked box on a private residence. OTOH, I wouldn't tamper with it unless it's necessary. There is probably just a barrel connector between the dish cable and the cable entering the house. They might just pull out without opening the box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
So if I understand correctly, the dish is pretty much useless as it is. I have no interest in paying for tv services so I guess using this dish is not an option.
I'll go for the OTA HDTV option.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
You could get a few bucks reselling the dish. Though given it's lack of a dual LNB, not likely much.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If it has 2 lines from it, then it is a Dual LNBF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.