Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new Micasaverde Vera2 -- this is a network connected Z-Wave controller. I bought the "kit" on sale from AARTECH containing the Vera and some appliance and lighting controllers.

I have been fussing with this thing for several hours now and while I have managed to get it to recognise a HomeSeer PIR detector, it does not seem to recognize any of the power controls.

I'm curious of there are any other Vera users out there to compare notes with. I fear that I am an "early adopter" AKA guinea-pig. I have no other Z-Wave master controller, so I don't have any "known good" fallback.

·
Registered
104 Posts
VERA has been around for at least a couple of years so in the world of tech I don't think you'd be classed as an early adopter.

By 'power controls' I assume you mean lamp or appliance modules?

Could you please describe how you were trying to add them to VERA, where you got stuck or what is not working exactly and what messages you're seeing?

Keep in mind you need to have the devices less than a foot from VERA during the inclusion process and you should see the ZWave light flashing differently on VERA when you push the button on the side of the modules during the enrolment process.

Have you gone to the device list to confirm that they are not present there?

Cheers
Robert

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Robert!

Less than a foot? The instructions I can find indicate that 3 metres is a suitable distance for adopting units.

This was news to me about the flashing pattern. I also have a message from Vera support explaining some more on this:

when the Z-Wave light on Vera is blinking slowly it should be in include mode so you can add new devices and when it's blinking fast it should be in exclude mode so you can remove devices.
To put Vera in include mode you have to tap once the Z-Wave button on the back of your unit and to put it in exclude mode you have to keep the button pressed for 3-4 seconds.
I have been following the on-line "getting started" procedure. This uses the HTML U/I to go into program mode and whatnot. It seems that pressing the button on the unit itself is more direct alright. I will try using that method.

I am still kind of unsure about the lamp and appliance modules that come with the AARTECH kit. These are Homemanageables units and the documentation on them is fairly lightweight. The only external control is the on-off switch. According to the manual, this can be used to program, but it is not clear how. I've tried pressing once, pressing and holding, pressing once after power cycle and various other things. I have one on my network now, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did to make it go into "join" mode.

I am now struggling with an Intermatic HA09 remote. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Less than a foot? The instructions I can find indicate that 3 metres is a suitable distance for adopting units.
I'm not sure what instructions you're referring to but the wizard in VERA says 'pairing requires Vera to be within 3 feet or 1 meter of the device you want to pair.'

That said, I always figure if it says 3 feet, let's make it 1 foot then we're really safe, right?

I am still kind of unsure about the lamp and appliance modules that come with the AARTECH kit. These are Homemanageables units and the documentation on them is fairly lightweight. The only external control is the on-off switch. According to the manual, this can be used to program, but it is not clear how.
We have sold about 200 of the lamp and appliance modules so far.
The 'on' (top) of the on/off button on the side needs to be tapped once to pair or delete.

If you're having trouble pairing, and you're NOT seeing the device in the device list, go and delete the item... hold the ZWave button for 5 seconds or so, then let go. It will flash somewhat fast. Bring it to the lamp module (or vice versa) and tap the top button. If you're also logged in using the browser, you'll see it tell you it has been removed (if it was previously added). This will also make sure the module knows it can be paired to a new network. You can do this with all of them while you're at it in this exclude mode. When done, press the zwave button quickly on VERA. wait a second or two and press it again for a second.

Then when ready to add the module back in, put vera in include mode by pressing the zwave button for a second. The zwave light will start to blink slowly. Go to the module (within 1 foot or so) and tap the top button on the lamp/appliance module. The Zwave light should blink really fast for a few seconds. Wait a few more seconds keeping vera close to the module. When done press the zwave light on vera to take it out of include mode.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

I am now struggling with an Intermatic HA09 remote. Wish me luck.
They cover this in the Micasa Verde WIKI or their tech support should be able to guide you.

Cheers
Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts