Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 2nd day it is happening to me so far.

Two days ago, the PVR recorded The Colbert Report in HD, but I couldn't play it back in the morning. The screen would just be blank and the cursor on the timeline remained at 0:00. Trying to fast forward or skip forward wouldn't make a difference. I stopped playback, tried to resume or start several times, no dice. I just could not play the recorded event.

This morning, I tried to play last night's The Daily Show, same thing. Recording couldn't be played no matter what I tried. However, Colbert worked.

Anybody else experiencing this on recorded shows?

·
Super Moderator
17,218 Posts
I've seen this problem occasionally with Mediaroom on MTS. Were both your recordings on CTV HD (not time-shifted)?

Usually when this happens, that channel will be blank if you try to tune it live.

Try it on another STB if you have one.
Try tuning to the channel live.
Try rebooting your STB and PVR.
Usually the problem will fix itself in 15 to 30 minutes (even if you don't reboot).
If nothing else works - call Telus.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it was a case of a blank channel because the timeline when trying to playback the show was simply not moving. The bar showed I had 30mins worth of recording, but the cursor would not budge from 0:00.

This is typically recorded when I'm in bed so I can't really check live. I'll check your suggestions if it happens again.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,218 Posts
I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I think occasionally there is a problem with the communication between the STB and the Rights Management Server.

When your STB thinks you don't have the rights to that channel, it won't let play any recording from that channel. It just sits at 0:00 as yours did. At the time you try to play the recording and it doesn't work, try tuning to the channel where the recording was made. If the channel is blank, then there is likely a problem with rights management. When the problem gets sorted out, the recording will play properly.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, I see. Makes sense now. I'll check it out next time it happens. I've deleted those recordings since.

·
Registered
82 Posts
if you power off/reboot the box, does the recording play?

i have had a few where i get the same thing. recording hangs and doesnt move. if i power off the box and restart the recording, it is good to go. Not sure if it is a hard drive bug or something to that effect...

****telus employee, but my views are all my own****

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It hasn't happened again yet. Last night's Colbert and Daily Show recorded properly. When it did happen, I could play back any other recordings, just not the sick one.

I'm waiting for the event to occur again.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I had a problem where the shows recorded but it looked like bandwidth was exceeded (and no one as in the house using internet!) so the shows kept stalling on playback and were blocky (corrupted in a word). Not sure if it was the modem or PVR. I rebooted both.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have had this problem occasionally too, but I was not able to do anything to make the recordings work.

Also, at the time it happens, the channel is working fine, often it is the channel showing, but the recording is simply not happening, even though the red light is on and the recording is listed in the recordings list.

Rebooting the box did not help resolve it for me when I did try that.

This appears to be a bug that needs to be fixed IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts